Sick axxy

KaylaLayne

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotl has been acting weird the past couple days. Swimming on/near surface (and floating), swimming crazy into the corners non-stop, chasing its tail. What's going on? :confused: I think it may have a small fungal infection on its frills as well (he is really picky & seems to get it a lot, it usually just goes away). I'm looking for advice how to help my small fishy friend :) thanks

It could be water conditions. That is always the first suspect when an axie is acting sick or off.

What are your water parameters (temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?

Any new decorations? Any tankmates? Has anything else been changed in the tank?

What kind of filter?

What kind of substrate?

Is he eating OK? What do you feed him?

I need to do a water test, so I'm not sure. His temp is around 23 Celsius, which is normally what it's at. Nothing new, no new friends. I added more water the other day, but whenever i add water he's fine. I just use a turtle filter + an air stone, both on the same end. Bare bottom, and he's been eating fine. Eats rosy reds (feeder fish) as a treat and king worms normally.

23 C is at the high end axies. That, combined with other issues could be causing the current behavior, even is it is used to that temperature.

How often are you changing your water, and how much? Nitrates build up and axolotls are sensitive to them (hence, the reason you should do water tests.) Nitrates are associated with fungus problems too.

==> I strongly urge you to test your water. Otherwise we are going to keep thinking it is likely a water problem, since that is so often the case. If it isn't a water problem, you will get better advice if we know it isn't.

Question: Why is your tank that warm? Usually tanks will run a few degrees below room temperature due to evaporative cooling? (The real question: you don't have a heater in there, do you? :happy:)

Regardless of the cause of the strange behavior, your axolotl will probably be helped if you can drop the temperature in the tank. The safest way is to have a fan blowing across the surface of the water. And in the winter it has the additional benefit of humidifying the room a bit. :happy:

Frequent water changes are also recommended, because even if it isn't the water, keeping the water as fresh as possible will also help your axie.

I will be testing the water asap, I don't have the proper tests at home so whenever I can get down to my local pet store. I am not sure why the temp is so warm, always has been, I don't have a heater because of the already warm temp. I am trying to cool down the tank right now, putting frozen water bottles in the tank, adding fresh cold water. Hopefully this helps him out

When you got to the pet store, get the actual values of the readings, not just an "it's OK". Sometimes what they consider "OK" and what axolotls consider "OK" are not the same. Axolotls are more sensitive to, for example, nitrate, than fish, and a reading of 40 ppm nitrate is fine for (most) fish but is at the top of what you should have your axolotl in.

It would be a good idea to do some water changes since you don't have a test kit to test with right away. It is unlikely to hurt, and might help.

I would recommend purchasing your own testing kit. Get a liquid one to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. The API Freshwater master kit has all these and is usually quite reliable. the tests are easy to do yourself and the kit should last you ages. It is worth getting your own as you should be testing regularly (I usually recommend once a week as minimum for a cycled tank).

Try using some fans to cool the tank. 23 is quite high. the ideal temperature for axies is 16-18 Celsius so it would be best to get it below 20 if at all possible. When you get readings of the test, make sure to post them here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back