Question: Best Axolotl Plants?

richardtheb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, my 46-gallon tank is currently cycling before I order my Axies. I'd like to add a few plants in there for variety, to give them some more cover to hide under and to help recycle waste. What species would be recommended?

This is a 46-gallon tank that will hold two axies.
The lighting is minimal (a couple of LED strips), but I am looking to add more.
One hang-on filter, but thinking of adding a sump to make cooling easier in the summer.

Thoughts?

If you want plants, you might need to increase the amount of light. You don't need strong lights, but you probably do need something more than what you currently have.
I would recommend both Anubias and Microsorium, both are low light plants and they are tough and so even two axolotls are not likely to be able to destroy them.

My axolotls love thier plants, sitting on them, hiding in them, and occasionally they will bite a leaf or two. So you will not want feathery or weak stemmed plant.you will want plants with strong sturdy stems and leaves that can withstand all of the above and do not require much light. You also do not want plants that your axolotls can become tangled in. If you are going to add more led light strips try to get red and blue without the white. Thease two colors are the part of the lifght spectrum that plants use for growth. I believe that it will also not be too bright for the axolotls but maybe a more experienced axolotl person can say if this is correct.

Thanks both for the info. I am planning on adding a brighter LED light setup at some point soon, but I think the LED strips should get me started. I am using some RGB LED (which have red, green and blue elements) strips, so they should have a good mix of colors for plant growth.

Now, to the classifieds to buy some plants!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back