Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just for kicks :)

melgado22

Reaction score
Just my axi hanging out :) the water has cleared since this photo he's just not being very photogenic at this moment.. lol
i was having trouble keeping my tank below 70 degrees for a couple days there, the breeder had recommended keeping frozen 2 L bottles in the tank but i am out of the house for at least 10 hours a day if not more. rotating bottles wasn't an option for me. i bought a fan that hooks into a USB as recommended on a youtube video (How to cool an aquarium 10 DEGREES! for under $20 DIY - YouTube) and it has worked perfectly for me, my tank is now at 67 degrees. i have put a few plants in there but they aren't as aesthetically pleasing as id like... suggestions on good plants for an axi would be great :)

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 159

Bette

Reaction score
A screen mesh tank lid will also help keep the tank cool.
Moss balls, java moss, duckweed, anubias, and java fern are all good, low maintenance choices. Do a google search on low light, cold water aquarium plants.

I was actually going to post an ad for java moss because I have a good amount extra!

melgado22

Reaction score
I just recieved my mesh lid yesterday but it cause my filter to sit very high, wasn't realy happy with it so I'm planning on returning it. I have a glass lid and leave the back open for the fan. I'd be happy to take some Java moss :) melgado22@gmail.com

Thank you for the suggestions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1