Lighting

Valentinas Dadd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Valentina's Daddy
I have a question that I have researched but never really found an answer for it. I have a tank that I keep in my garage, mainly for the temperature. I am trying to keep it as cold as possible and my garage is colder than my house. The issue with that is sometimes we forget to leave any lights on and it remains dark. Now I know Axolotls are sensitive tonight and have read that they do not require any special lighting. I was worried that if I kept them in the dark that when there was light it would stress them even more.

So what would you suggest. Please understand at this point I want to keep them in the garage and will use whatever lighting is suggested.

I think a small light of almost any sort with a timer would be a good idea good. Perhaps just an old desk lamp. Like you say, they don't like a lot of light, but do like a day/night cycle.

If you want to go with a new aquarium light, LED lights have come down a lot, generate very little heat, and many are submersible. If you have a submersible one, then it doesn't matter if it gets knocked into the tank. Since you don't want/need lots of light, get one for a much smaller tank.

If your worried about the light stressing them out you could get a small desk light and place it away from the tank but close enough to provide a little light so that it doesn't get as stressed when going from darkness to light. You could also put a towel around the tank to block the light so the flash doesn't effect them ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back