Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My fbn is gravid and laying eggs

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
Hey everyone its been awhile I've been trying to get a hold of another fbn and yesterday I was cleaning the tank and i found eggs in the plants and leaves. I just wanted to tell everyone and if there's any suggestions pls write em I've put the eggs in a one gal. Betta tank with an air stone is what it said to do online. Oh and I was wondering how long do the eggs take to hatch because they look like they were just laid their half black half white I'll upload pictures

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Eggs could be infertile, my females were laying infertile eggs for months even if there was a male present.

Whenever I removed the eggs, they never made it, because they never ate. But the eggs I left in the parent tank grew off the uneaten food from the parents and the micro inverts that were in the tank, and those grew and morphed.

Just a warning but this specie can be difficult to raise from eggs, they want to go terrestrial once morphed which can be difficult but they also morph very small and can be difficult to raise. If you don't have micro inverts in the parent tank, I would get daphnia if you're raising it in the adult tank, or daphnia and bbs if you're raising them in a separate tank. Personally I just have 2 pieces of floating cork bark in my tank and I remove them when they morph and put them in a shallow aquatic setup with some plants.

If raised in the adult tank, there should be plenty of plants, and adults will really only eat eggs, they don't generally touch the larvae at all, unless the larvae is like sitting on food but they're usually smarter and run when they get near.

Whats your adults tank like?

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
Thanks I'm going to the aquatic store right now they are having a super sale everything 50% off so I can stock up on supplies for the newts thxs for the help

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
What does the parent tank look like? How much water, plants, etc

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
Um right now the tank has black sand with lots of plants but I had to take some out because they were covered in eggs and I didn't want them to get eaten

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
So im assuming you've changed it compared to the pictures in your album, so that theres a lot more water, like preferably 10 gallons minimum.
Anyway, personally Ive had a higher success rate with the larvae raised in the tank, but this could just be me. All of the ones I removed and raised in plastic containers refused food, and therefore didn't grow and died, while the ones living in the adult tank were thriving off of anything they could find, which was easy since there was a surplus of micro-inverts in the tank. Testing the first batch in a second enclosure would be a good idea and if that doesn't work, try raising them in the parent tank.
This article may help out, though I believe that most people are raising morphs aquatic now compared to terrestrially: Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Juvenile Newts
I started my morph setup as a critter keeper with maybe a centimeter and a half of water with some java moss while increasing the water level a tiny bit every now and then which got them used to water again, and now they have no problem with being completely submerged, but the water level is still low.

lilmiklo916

Reaction score
Yeah I updated it its full aquatic and has a floating rock to climb onto but yeah I just checked and there is more eggs in the plants so I I will see which one has a higher chance of living I'll upload pics

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well if its a newly established tank theres probably not any or not many micro-invertebrates present in the tank, so if you could get daphnia, that could probably live in the tank, bbs will die in a short time.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Some ponds may have them, and if not you can buy online, even on places like eBay, I personally haven't had to get any due to the micro inverts that appeared in the tank, and I had some leftover whiteworms too.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Also, I heard baby triops and sea monkeys can be used for hatchling food, which may be easier to find

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Also, I heard baby triops and sea monkeys can be used for hatchling food, which may be easier to find

Sea monkeys are brine shrimp, they can be fed, but won't last long in freshwater, and I believe are too big for hatchlings of this specie.

Last edited:

lilmiklo916

Reaction score

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Lol I was thinking of sea monkeys. But for the daphnia could I use the little packets that are like the instant growth ilk take a screenshot its hard to explain I would post it on here with the paper clip but my phone is stupid that is why I make so many grammer errors.I'll put a link to what I'm talking about below

https://www.google.com/search?q=dap...f44KwCQ&ved=0CBsQsxg#spd=14409754778519574838

Well, it has 1 star, and the reviews said they were unable to hatch any daphnia and only some fairy shrimp, you can buy live daphnia on like eBay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1