Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ornaments?

mooflakes

Reaction score
I'm interested in making my tank more spiffy (who doesn't want to do that :p) and I'm wondering where people get their ornaments. I'm interested in the natural-looking things which you clearly can't really DIY. Petsmart/petco have some nice ornaments (persmart has much more than petco to my great surprise) but some of the ornaments have reviews that they started to wear down in the water and get brittle etc and I want to avoid that.

I'm not really sure if it's just a gamble or people know reputable places past those two stores.:happy:

silk

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what kind of "natural" look you're looking for (little castles, fake driftwood, statues, etc??) but I'd try looking at thrift stores and places you can find handmade pottery. As long as it's fully glazed I believe it's safe for aquariums, although you'd have to be really careful with it.

Honestly, terracotta pots and aquarium-sealed hides made of slate tend to look natural and nice. Plus, they're completely aquarium safe (as long as they're unpainted and washed properly - with only hot water). Real driftwood will tannis up your water but it always looks nice.

allied123

Reaction score
I just got this really cool ornament from petsmart the other day that I've been looking at forever it is really huge though (it takes up pretty much my whole 20 gallon long, but if it was pushed against the back wall you could still have more than half the tank of floor space) but my axies love it!

Attachments

• IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 186

Bette

Reaction score
I would stick to unglazed terra cotta pots that haven't come in contact with plant fertilizers. Somewhere I once read that glazed items are not safe.
Conceptual Creations makes some real nice molded stone-like caves, etc. These are very good quality, and will not usually break or fade. They are not painted. Check Amazon!

mooflakes

Reaction score
I just got this really cool ornament from petsmart the other day that I've been looking at forever it is really huge though (it takes up pretty much my whole 20 gallon long, but if it was pushed against the back wall you could still have more than half the tank of floor space) but my axies love it!

I was thinking about getting this actually! :p

I thought ceramics were okay? Awh man. I need to look into that and/or get second opinions.

Conceptual Creations is cool but not really as many hiding spots as I would like. Oh well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!