How much should I feed?

anjelloca

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JELLO ♡
2 questions

I know this has probably been talked about like a million times on here but I have a picky 7 month old 5 inch axolotl who for the longest time would ONLY take crickets. She's finally accepting earthworms today! I still have about 15 crickets left, but I really do want to mix her diet up so that I'm not feeding the same thing every day. I have 2 bags of salmon pellets I bought from Michael Shrom, 15 crickets, and a bunch of earthworms. I don't want anything to go to waste and I wanted to eventually stop crickets because 1) I can't even touch them without wearing gloves 2) they're a pain to gutload. I was wondering how I should update her feeding schedule so that she's not being overfed or underfed.

I just got a bunch of blackworms for two 2-inch juvies that should be arriving here in a couple days. I've never had axolotls so young before :x how much & how often should I be feeding them once they arrive??

At least 2x per day for the little bittys. Basically, as much as they will eat. You may have to cut up the black worms, depending on how big they are.

Okay, that sounds good. I guess I'll just lift the bowl once they're done eating. Until what age should I stop feeding blackworms?

Chanel isn't interested in the salmon pellets at all, I don't know how to tempt her with those. :(

I think lifting the bowl is gonna be harder than you think to not make a mess lol I suggest jars for blackworms/bloodworms, I think it'll be easier/less messy to take a jar out if there's still a bit of food left :) just a suggestion but if the bowl works for you go for it!

Okay, that sounds good. I guess I'll just lift the bowl once they're done eating. Until what age should I stop feeding blackworms?

Chanel isn't interested in the salmon pellets at all, I don't know how to tempt her with those. :(

For Chanel, try mixing the pellets with other foods she likes. You can feed the black worms as long as you like (with a varied diet). However, since black worms are pricey, I would try to wean them as soon as possible onto pellets and earthworms.

Oh, I have a little jar in there for them so I guess I'll put the blackworms in there then lol thanks!

I always just handfeed Chanel a worm/cricket, but I usually see videos of people dropping pellets and axolotls just catching them?? How would I go about mixing the food?

Oh, I have a little jar in there for them so I guess I'll put the blackworms in there then lol thanks!

I always just handfeed Chanel a worm/cricket, but I usually see videos of people dropping pellets and axolotls just catching them?? How would I go about mixing the food?

Hmm.. In her case, maybe try a feeding dish with a little assortment of food. That way, the food varieties will be in close proximity. She is bound to inhale some bits of pellet at some point! :grin: Remove any uneaten pellets within a few hours.

For Chanel, try mixing the pellets with other foods she likes. You can feed the black worms as long as you like (with a varied diet). However, since black worms are pricey, I would try to wean them as soon as possible onto pellets and earthworms.

Sorry to bomb the post, but how does one go about introducing earth worms to a pellet fed 'lotl? What are the safest ways? Do you know much about Brine Shrimp?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back