Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello Everyone!

MasSalvaje

Reaction score
My name is Thomas. I have been keeping salamanders for about 10 years now. I currently have an adult male tiger salamander that I got as tiny nymph 7 years ago, an adult male melanoid axolotl that I have had for 4 years, a group of fire salamanders that I have had for 3 years, and a new wild type axolotl that I just brought home in Dec. I have always had a fascination with amphibians which was a big motivation as to why I am now a high school biology teacher. I have been lurking for a time but thought I could learn more if I participate more.

-Thomas

mrmorrell

Reaction score
My love of "water dogs" grew out of a love for fresh and salt water aquariums and the associated inhabitants. I love the unusual, loaches and plecostomus. The Axolotl was such an unusual creature that never left the water, it caught my attention. The more I read and studied the more fascinated I was! I now have 6 Axolotls which I thoroughly enjoy! I am not adept at taking photographs in the aquarium, so I hope to find tips in the forums. Then I can add photos of my little guys! Well, my oldest Axolotl, Ozzie, is a wild type over 7 inches long. The other five are leucistic juveniles.

Although I am currently retired, I have a background in chemistry/biology, healthcare information systems and web design. Most recently I taught computer science at the university level.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1