Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

20 Gallon Long Lighting

MissT

Reaction score
Hi all!

I plan to get a 20 gallon long for my future axies, but the only problem is that it doesn't come with a hood or lighting. I'm fine without a hood, but I'd like some sort of light. Any suggestions? The width of the tank is 30.25". Thanks!

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I suggest a small submersible LED light, mounted just under the rim in front. They add almost no heat.

MissT

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Would it be strong enough for the plants?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Depends on the plants. If they are low-light plants, probably. If they need more light, you will want to do additional research on the planted tank sites to see what they recommend.

I just bought a Marineland Hidden LED light that seems bright enough for low-to-medium light plants. The 17" length lights my 40 gallon breeder tank well, but it might be a bit bright for a 20 gallon, unless there are lots of plants to cut the light.

Cacique

Reaction score
I found LEDs that work for plants to be quite expensive and am working on a DIY using 5630 LED strips. For a 20 long (I have one for RCS) I will need something like 4 strips of light side by side, the length of the tank almost, to give about medium lighting.

There are a few forums and blogs about planted tanks that you could do some research with if you want. A lot of the inexpensive LEDs (under $50) are usually just for viewing light. The cheapest way to light up a planted tank is with daylight CFLs, but they will add some heat.

keiko

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that axies don't like bright lights and they're the most important thing in your tank, plants will always come second. So if you want plants, choose those that do well in low light. I have a planted tank (over 60 gallons) with only two small LED lights placed at opposite ends of the tank and the plants are still growing nicely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1