Water oxygenation

Axolotlet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since I got my axolotl a few months ago, his gills have gotten smaller. His water conditions are fine and he eats earthworms and bloodworms. He has a sponge filter in his tank that provides a little osygenation, but I think I need to oxygenate his water more. I read I could do this by taking some of the water out and pouring it back in twice a day. Would this stress him out? Or would it be okay for him.

Thanks!

I'm sure it wouldn't stress him out just so long as you aren't pouring the water directly on him all the time. My lotls get angry with me when I am doing water changes but not stressed. You could also purchase some plants that are good for oxygenation or add a little bit of carbon.

Sometimes gills just get smaller though. My melanoid had gorgeous red gills when I first got him and they got smaller almost instantly. They are currently getting more lush.

My GFP Albino also had fantastic gills when I first got her and after owning her for about a month they got smaller, and they have always been the same small size no matter the filter or amount of oxygen in her tank. Just kind of like a finger print, different on all Lotls :]

Air stones. I have 2 air stones in my little one's tank and he loves them. All you need is an air pump, an air stone and tubing.

Just anything that produces quite a lot of bubbles, they love it.

When I have it off his gills will go to a very pale pink colour but when I have it on they'll fluff up and go a wonderful deep red

As far as I understand an axolotl has frilly gills, as not enough oxygen is in the water. But when gills get shorter and less frilly its because there is more than enough oxygen so does not need to use all of its gills????????

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard from other more experienced keepers (Bette? Are you there? :happy:) that they have seen longer, fluffier gills when the oxygen level is lower. Obviously, you don't want to take this too far - your axies need oxygen!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back