Chinese firebelly newt eggs?

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a 8 firebelly newts at a reptile show about 4 months ago, and now i noticed a few eggs. just wondering on the care if its similar to ribbed newt egg care. also how many eggs do these firebelly newts lay and are they a easy breeder or hard one cause you never see captive bred chinese firebelly newts for sale

If they're anything like mine, they lay all year long, but not in huge quantities. Eggs may also be infertile for awhile.
Egg and larvae care is basically all the same, but the thing with this specie is how small they start out and morph. Since they're so small its easiest for me to just leave the larvae in the parent tank feeding off micro inverts and leftover food.
Raising them can be tricky, they morph very small so feeding could be a little tougher. They also morph at a very small size, and when they morph they have the urge to go terrestrial which makes feeding even harder. Most people now a days try to raise them aquatic, giving them a very small amount of water and a lot of aquatic plants like java moss, and increase the water level every now and then.
They aren't for sale very often because of a few things, larvae take awhile to raise up and the fact that theres so many wild caught individuals that are easily available, so people won't pay a lot, and people I guess don't want to raise them up spending a lot of money to maybe get 5$ per newt.
In a few months Ive had 4 morph, and one of them didn't make it, the other 3 are still in a shallow aquatic setup. I leave all the eggs and larvae in the parent tank and take them out as the morph.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back