Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another Lumpy 'Lotl

Hoagii

Reaction score
I've had this little axolotl for about a month and a half. She was about 3cm long when I got her and she is now ~7.5cm. To my knowledge, she has never been on any kind of gravel (she hasn't as long as I had her, and all of the axies I saw from her breeder had no substrate).

I've noticed that after feedings she ends up with dents in her tummy, especially on the left side. I've read that this might just be 'dead space' between her organs showing through her skin, but it's becoming more and more prominent and starting to really worry me!

Does her gut look normal to everyone? :(

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

Isn't she cute other than that lumpy gut?? :p But anyhow, any input is appreciated.

allied123

Reaction score
My babies looked like that when they were little after eating, if you're sure it's not gravel then he/she looks good to me! You can really see their organs and stuff when they're that small.

silk

Reaction score
My babies looked like that too, I read its pretty normal and they even out as they get older. Like stated already, as long as there's no gravel or small stuff in the tank they should be fine. Totally cute BTW (●´∀`●)

Hoagii

Reaction score
Good to know she's normal! She is my first axolotl so I have nothing to compare her to. And yeah, she's adorable :D

Hannahlotl2987

Reaction score
I have a GFP leucistic that gets super lumpy too XD Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who was worried initially. I only found out it was normal because I had two separate babies that looked lumpy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1