Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding?

idontknow

Reaction score
Hello, I recently brought home a "albino ribbed newt" (what the pet store said) and i'm having trouble getting the little guy to eat. any tips on feeding him? he is roughly 4-5 inches long, and i'm not sure of his age. Any tips or help would be appreciated! thank you :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would try live blackworms or chopped nightcrawlers. If it won't eat those I would check your water parameters, Ribbed newts are usually greedy feeders, if yours wont eat anything I would suspect are problem with his environment.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Not sure if you will require similar treatment, but with my fire bellies, I had to put as many plants in as possible, and make sure your water temperature is good. Try the earthworms/nightcrawlers cut up into 1/4-3/8" pieces and hand feed by tweezers. It took a couple of days for one to begin eating, and just over a week for the other. Dont give up, and try once a day until it eats!

Good luck!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Not sure if you will require similar treatment, but with my fire bellies, I had to put as many plants in as possible, and make sure your water temperature is good. Try the earthworms/nightcrawlers cut up into 1/4-3/8" pieces and hand feed by tweezers. It took a couple of days for one to begin eating, and just over a week for the other. Dont give up, and try once a day until it eats!

Good luck!

P. waltl aren't small newts like H. orientalis, they could easily take worms of at least an inch of size, female adult H. orientalis should be able to as well, another option is to get a bowl or section in the tank, drop in some worms, turn off the light, and leave for awhile.

crawdaddy

Reaction score
Whenever my newts aren't feeding, I have great response from live blackworms or small whole earthworms. The motion of the whole worm works better for me than pieces of chopped nightcrawler. :blob:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!