Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums although I have had fire bellied newts (not sure if they are of Japanese or Chinese origin) for most of my life. Currently I have an 18+ year old fire bellied newt and have just added a new fire bellied newt to my aquarium. This has the old newt very excited and the new newt was busy depositing eggs in my plants the other day, so apparently I have a male and a female...

I found the forums while "Googling" for information about newts as I am always interested in learning new things about them and your site has come up often as a resource for great information!

I'm in Vancouver, B.C. and would be interested to know if anyone around my area raises 'captive bred' newts.

Great forums, I am looking forward to continuing to learn new things about newts! :happy:

I am attaching a picture of my new newt.

Attachments

• newt eggs.jpg
    newt eggs.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 107

marvinpeter

Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie here. I used to have a pet newt but had to give it up to a friend when I moved out. Now I own a dog but still love newts and would like to buy another one soon. Meanwhile, I am here to know and share all things related to pets.

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hi marvinpeter. That's too bad you had to give up your newt. Some people on here raise captive bred newts so you may want to keep an eye out for those if you want to get another one. I have two dogs, two cats and two newts lol...oh and a bunch of fish too. One of my dogs loves watching the tank, especially when my big newt is out tromping around, he finds it quite fascinating.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums although I have had fire bellied newts (not sure if they are of Japanese or Chinese origin) for most of my life. Currently I have an 18+ year old fire bellied newt and have just added a new fire bellied newt to my aquarium. This has the old newt very excited and the new newt was busy depositing eggs in my plants the other day, so apparently I have a male and a female...

You have a Chinese Firebelly newt(H. orientalis).
Also, just cause you're getting eggs doesn't necessarily mean you have a pair.
The newt could have spermatophore prior to being caught from the wild, or from being imported or even at the petstore, they can store it for a pretty long time if they have to.
And the eggs may not be fertile either, mine were laying infertile eggs for months before getting my first fertile eggs, they laid a lot of infertile eggs prior to getting a mature male.
Raising this specie from eggs can be a challenge and usually isn't recommended for beginners, they hatch and morph at a very small size, requiring very small food, and when they morph they also have the urge to go into a terrestrial state which can be tough for some people to get through.

CatSpit

Reaction score
You have a Chinese Firebelly newt(H. orientalis).
Also, just cause you're getting eggs doesn't necessarily mean you have a pair.
The newt could have spermatophore prior to being caught from the wild, or from being imported or even at the petstore, they can store it for a pretty long time if they have to.
And the eggs may not be fertile either, mine were laying infertile eggs for months before getting my first fertile eggs, they laid a lot of infertile eggs prior to getting a mature male.
Raising this specie from eggs can be a challenge and usually isn't recommended for beginners, they hatch and morph at a very small size, requiring very small food, and when they morph they also have the urge to go into a terrestrial state which can be tough for some people to get through.

Ah, thanks for the information!! That's good to know. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1