Young Axolotl Refusing Food

axolotlseamus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,
I am fairly new to the area of Lotl pets.
I have three Lotls, who i have had for a good few months now, they are young, but not that young. Two are about 6 inches long, and the other is about 5 inches.
When i first got them, i was feeding them frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/etc - which worked fine (but was terribly messy, and hard to know who was eating what).
I finally found somewhere that sold earthworms - excellent! Everybody was merrily eating them, i could hand feed them, less mess, i knew who was getting what etc etc

I now have a situation where one of my Lotls is not eating. It would have to be about a week or so now.
It is strange, because he was the best eater out of the lot of them.
When i do offer him a worm, he seems to open up his jaw a little bit, and suck the water a little bit, but eventually gets bored and walks off.
My partner seemed to think that he ate bloodworms while i was away a few days ago, but i have not witnessed this at all.

What do i do from here?
Is there something terribly appetizing that i can offer him?
Any suggestions are welcome!

sometimes they temporarily lose their appetites
if its a maturing female, she may be ovulating (burrito stops eating and fouls the water quicker when she ovulates) and may be going through a 2 or 3 week loss of appetite
if its a mature female she might be pregnant-though i find burrito eats then pukes if this is the case
its also possible that the others are bullying it or stressing it out
make sure they all have enough space and hideouts and do a 50% water change
make sure no bright lights are on them either
it should regain appetite within the next week or so

Thank you for your reply!
At what age/size do they normally mature? I do not know at what age I would be expecting to first encounter that sort of behavior?
Bullying is possible, but they are all pretty well fed, with lots of hidey holes, they never seem to be particularly bothered with each other :)
They do not have bright lights at all.
I will do a water change and keep an eye on it.

Update: I have seen him eat a little bit of bloodworms tonight, so thats a start :)

Thank you for your reply!
At what age/size do they normally mature? I do not know at what age I would be expecting to first encounter that sort of behavior?
Bullying is possible, but they are all pretty well fed, with lots of hidey holes, they never seem to be particularly bothered with each other :)
They do not have bright lights at all.
I will do a water change and keep an eye on it.

Update: I have seen him eat a little bit of bloodworms tonight, so thats a start :)

they r tricky because it varies
the body starts maturing around 6 inches or 18 months of age but this can vary greatly depending on environmental factors

sometimes they temporarily lose their appetites
if its a maturing female, she may be ovulating (burrito stops eating and fouls the water quicker when she ovulates) and may be going through a 2 or 3 week loss of appetite
if its a mature female she might be pregnant-though i find burrito eats then pukes if this is the case
its also possible that the others are bullying it or stressing it out
make sure they all have enough space and hideouts and do a 50% water change
make sure no bright lights are on them either
it should regain appetite within the next week or so

Utter gibberish

As axolotls get bigger they start to eat less often, my adults get fed once a week at low temps, two/ three times a week when its warmer. Yours however are still at a size that should be eating daily or every other day, a few days missed feeding is not a problem but you may want to check your water peramiters to make sure there is no environmental cause.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back