Ick guard safe for axies?

Kokiron

Reaction score
Country
United States
So because I stupidly added water from a wal-mart tank into my tank here at home, a fungus was introduced into my tank and practically destroyed my axie's gills. They're out now, but I was wondering if it would be safe to buy Ick Guard to put in their tank to kill off any fungus that may still be floating around in there. It's a 55 gallon tank and I reaaaaaally dont want to replace all that water (and actually cant right now anyway because our water's out from good ol winter storms).

Ick guard is to kill ick on fish, not fungus on amphibians. I don't know if the ingredients are safe or dangerous, but it isn't intended to solve the problem you have. So, don't use it.

Are you sure it is fungus and not something else like bacterial? Sorry if you addressed this in a different thread already - my memory is short. Have you checked all of the water parameters? Can you post pictures?

Good luck getting water back. (The first thing we logically would tell you is to change the water, since it seldom hurts and usually helps.)

Yeah, I checked out my water and everything and posted pics on facebook when it first happened while the site was down. Consensus was that it was a good ol white fuzzy fungus

I wasn't on the facebook page until quite recently. :happy: Is your axie improving? Good luck with everything!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back