Artificial insemination?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Laura
Given that axolotls are nearly extinct in the wild, it would seem to be prudent to preserve genetic variability among our axies. Has there been any attempts to do artificial insemination? It occurs to me that if it is possible, spermatophores could be preserved for future breeding. It might also be easier to ship spermatophores than to ship axolotls for breeding purposes.

That's a good question. I don't know if it has been done, or could be done. I would think that the courtship display of the male plays a major role however... the male usually will nudge and "lead" the female to the deposited spermatophore.

Hi Laura :)

I am sorry to say it, but it simply doesn't matter. Your common axolotl is far from any wild axolotl. First off, they have been actively bred for a very long time, and inbreeding is really common unfortunately. There is also no natural selection at play usually, so the weak can survive and reproduce. The biggest problem, though, is that your typical "axolotl" isn't actually a true "axolotl", it is a hybrid. Axolotls were bred with A. tigrinum somewhere along the line of axolotls, so they aren't pure. Last time I heard, only a few people have pure A. mexicanum.

Now maybe I understood your question wrong...you want to maintain genetic diversity so that axolotls can maybe be reintroduced into the wild someday? Or something else? Hmm, perhaps my mini rant wasn't actually relevant? Well, in any case, I had fun writing it xD

Yes, 'tis true. There is certainly some tiger in there.
I think perhaps that Laura is thinking of avoiding inbreeding axolotls as much as possible. Which I agree with. But they are already inbred, that's for sure. I know we want to keep the few remaining "wild" axies pure, but maybe the general population would benefit from mixing in just a bit of the true wild.

And Seth did enjoy his mini rant I can tell! ;-) lol

It would be nice if they could be reintroduced, but I doubt it will ever be possible. And you are right - they aren't "pure", so it would be more of a romantic gesture than reintroduction of the original species.

I was actually concerned with genetic variability within the axolotls in captivity, since in animals in general, lack of variability (such as in purebred dogs) is also associated with shorter life spans and less hardiness.

I beg to differ on the "no natural selection", but the difference in opinion is probably based on semantics. They are now being selected for suitability to exist in captivity. So, the traits being selected for are willingness to breed in captivity and ability to withstand (and breed in) more varied conditions than their wild ancestors evolved in. I also wonder if we are selecting for behavioral traits - I'd rather breed the axie that comes out of hiding when I appear than the one that retreats to a cave. And then there are all of the color morphs ... :happy:

I know we want to keep the few remaining "wild" axies pure, but maybe the general population would benefit from mixing in just a bit of the true wild.
Where would we get the true wild from? Is the what the insemination is for, to take a wild axie spermatophore and put it in a captive axie? But yes I agree axies that more closely resemble wild axies would be great, then maybe I would finally get one ;)

EDIT: My question was answered while I was typing.

Okay, I see. Yes genetic variation is always good.

I personally would call what you described as selective breeding. When I think of natural selection in amphibians, I think of simply not giving them "easy living" as larva or juveniles, so that the strongest survive and the weakest do not. While it might sound a bit harsh, that is what happens in the wild so if one is to simulate it I don't see another way one could do so, though that definitely doesn't meant there aren't.

Of course selective breeding does help keep captive animals better fit for survival as well.

I agree that it would be nice to see the introduction of such varied genes especially if that could be done with axolotls that more closely resemble the wild population. I think that would be a huge help to the hobby especially where so much inbreeding is occurring.

The ambystoma genetic stock center has had some success freezing axolotl sperm.
Axolotl extinction in the wild is more about habitat loss, pollution, and introduced predators.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back