Axolotl food?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been wanting to try different foods with my axie, but I'm not exactly sure on which foods are good/safe. I've mainly been feeding her earth worms, blood worms, and sinking pellets. I just feel like she needs more variety than this! I have read that some feeder fish can have harmful parasites that are not good for axolotls so I just wanted some advice on where to get safe feeder fish and also which fish are the best to feed axolotls? And if anyone has other recommendations for different foods, let me know! Thanks :)

You can give frozen fresh water fish so you don't have to worry about parasites. I buy a fillet without the bones, cut it in pieces and stuck it in the freezer. Then just take out a piece, thaw it and feed to the axies when ever you want to. It's a treat for my axies and they love it.

Edit. Just wanted to add that earth worms and good quality pellets have everything the axie needs, so there isn't really a need for a lot of variation.

I feed my guys dehydrated Krill, which they love! Also frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and live blood worms. Whichever I have money for at the time. I usually keep a supply of frozen brine shrimp at all times, and the dehydrated Krill is only about 3 American dollars for a medium size container.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back