Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent Baby Axolotl Food

ackunz

Reaction score
I thought all our axolotl eggs had died (first clutch for my female which she laid 3.5 weeks ago) but the very last one hatched this morning. Yikes! I'm not prepared. What food can I get that I can feed it right away? My aquarium supply store told me baby brine shrimp take 24-36 hours to cultivate and I think the baby needs to eat sooner than that. Ideas?

officerPuckles

Reaction score
Baby Axolotls wont be hungry until about 24-48 hours after they hatch. It will still be getting nutrients off of its egg sac for a while. So I would start a BBS hatchery ASAP and I am sure it will be just fine :]
My babies actually didn't get an appetite until 72 hours after hatching if that helps any.

But definitely start that Brine Shrimp Hatchery!!!!

ackunz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I started a hatchery but it'll be ready a little late. A friend recommended cooked egg yolk in the meantime so I will try that when it's been hatched for 24 hours until the shrimp are ready. Cross your fingers!

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I'm not sure about feeding an Axie egg yolk, I've never heard of it maybe someone else can weigh in on it.
Newborn Lotls will only go after live prey, due to instinct. And they are SO tiny it would be quite the process to chop up egg to that miniscule of a scale. BBS are basically microscopic.
I would just wait until the BBS have hatched, the little one should be ok an extra day without food :] But he WILL be hungry once you finally feed! So I would maybe get two hatcheries going so you have a constant flow of food. :]
Good luck and keep us updated!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You would be better off to skip the egg yolk food. I'd worry about water quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1