Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello! New Axi Owner Here!

LiliTi

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm a Veterinary Technician by occupation but only work with cats and dogs. I've always loved exotics and after meeting my fiancé five years ago, we've been stoking our small collection with some new additions.
As of Feb. 22 I have become the proud owner of a Leucistic Axolotl baby. [Disclaimer: First time Axi owner, first time amphibian owner!] She's only about an inch long and the only bit of information I didn't get from the breeder was about how old she was. Oops! Any help there? Back legs are little nubs but I'm thinking that could have been her siblings because they were communally housed for the convention they were a part of. I know that within a year or so they tend to reach sexual maturity and get close to their adult size at that point.
Basically, I just want to be sure I don't make any really obvious rookie mistakes. I know about temperature maintenance, sand vs. pebbles, etc. Any basic tips are welcome and I hope to be posting pictures of her completed tank as soon as I can figure out what hides would go best. What do they prefer? Plastic plants, log hides, etc. I'd be happy to provide details on my current tank set up for her as well but I feel like I've already written a book here.
So on an end note, hello everyone! I'm happy to have found a good forum for troubleshoot with. :D

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Welcome!

At about that size, probably 3-4 weeks (growth rate is temperature dependent) and there is a good chance that the legs just haven't developed yet.

Don't put them on sand yet. It is best to be bare-bottom until about 5".

Mine like broken flower pots as hides. Just sand all rough edges with a coarse sand paper.

Enjoy your new friend!

LiliTi

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I wasn't sure about sand yet but I can definitely hold off. Bare bottom is a lot easier to clean up after anyway. I hope to post pictures as soon as I can get my camera to focus on the little bugger. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!