Any helpful info welcomed

Cpaul

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I've got a 30 gallon tank ready for a couple axolttlos. I've been looking for a couple years to find some in my price range as a gift for my husband. We have the tank ready with everything we have researched ln these amazing little creatures! We had seen one in a pet store but when I went a couple weeks ago it was sold.
Things we know- no gravel, no other swimming friends (aka fish) (we know axolttlos aren't fish) and we were told frozen blood worms were one of the best things to feed them. I've messaged a couple people that were selling on here and haven't gotten a reply yet. So here is to hoping for some new friends soon!

Blood worms are not nutritionally complete for adults, but are good for young axies. Earthworms are considered one of the best food.

I would trust the regular sellers on this site more than I would trust a typical pet store. I'm sure someone will get back to you soon. :happy:

Bloodworms are great for young juveniles but you will want to switch to earthworms as soon as possible. Mine started eating earthworms at about three inches. As Laura mentioned in her post, earthworms are far more nutritious and much more suitable for axolotls. You could even start up your own earthworm farm which will save you money :). Just be sure that the earthworms you use are free from any chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides etc if you dig them from your garden.

Also, you may already be familiar with cycling but if not, read up on aquarium cycling. It is very important to understand the nitrogen cycle, how it works and how it will affect aquatic life :)

Thank you! We know about cycling the aquarium! I just had the water tested and was given the ok on it! It's been running for a couple weeks! I've gotten a reply and working out details now! I will look into making my own earthworm garden! at first I'll admit these little creatures looked odd and creepy to me but after looking more at them and seeing them in person once in the pet store I've fallen in love with them! :happy:

Sounds like you pretty much got it covered. How did you get your water tested? It's a good idea to get a liquid testing kit (Like the API freshwater master test kit) so you can test the water yourself as needed.

Sounds like you pretty much got it covered. How did you get your water tested? It's a good idea to get a liquid testing kit (Like the API freshwater master test kit) so you can test the water yourself as needed.

We took it to a high end aquatic pet store here and they used a liquid testing kit. I will invest in one of those for myself tomorrow!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back