Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female won't stop laying eggs!!!

kristensundevic

Reaction score
My female, Blanca had her first batch of eggs just over a month ago. Approximatey 50 and many of them were loose (not in any jelly) and only 2 survived into babies. She had another batch of eggs 2 weeks later, approximately 150 eggs and 80 have survived with about 15 more that still haven't hatched. I noticed that she was rubbing her vent on some of the decorations in her tank last night and this morning there are more eggs!

Is it hard on her to be breeding this much? I'm concerned for her health.

I don't mind having so many babies because I'll be selling them at a reptile expo in April but I don't want her to be stressed or warn down. She is housed with our male, Ebony and they have been together since we first bought them. I'd prefer to keep them together if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Kristen

Axolotlmama2014

Reaction score
Yes it hard on her I recently had the same problem with my female she has had 6batches of eggs with in a year , and I had to separate her from the male so that they cant breed and she can get a break from breeding .. I would separate her from the male to keep her from getting poorly

~Axolotlmama2014~

keiko

Reaction score
Laying eggs constantly is very stressful for the female and takes a lot of energy. The female will be exhausted and can get sick. Get a divider or another tank asap.

Picificsi

Reaction score
I have got the same problem. My female laid eggs the 3rd time yesterday. She is only about 10 months old, and she started laying at Christmas. The first 2 times I worried about her a lot, because she looked very stressed and tired, and laid thousands of eggs for days. But this time, she laid only one night, 2-3 hundreds, and now, looks calm and pretty.
I can't separate them. They have been together since they hatched, so when I try to separate them in only hours they get stressed, and start to look for each other. I see it even worse.
Please help if you have any advice, I don't want to torture my female and make her life shorter. What can I do?

Sorry for my poor English.

Axolotlmama2014

Reaction score
they have net dividers for tanks so they can still see each other without breeding , I'm having to put one in my tank due to over breeding also. good luck

~axolotlmama2014~

seagull

Reaction score
I have got the same problem. My female laid eggs the 3rd time yesterday. She is only about 10 months old, and she started laying at Christmas. The first 2 times I worried about her a lot, because she looked very stressed and tired, and laid thousands of eggs for days. But this time, she laid only one night, 2-3 hundreds, and now, looks calm and pretty.
I can't separate them. They have been together since they hatched, so when I try to separate them in only hours they get stressed, and start to look for each other. I see it even worse.
Please help if you have any advice, I don't want to torture my female and make her life shorter. What can I do?

Sorry for my poor English.
i highly doubt a 10 month old female is laying eggs
they arent even mature until 18 months of age
they will adjust to being separate, and after an initial few days of getting used to not being around one another, they will be fine

rachel1

Reaction score
Females can be sexually mature at as young as 8months, I don't think its at all unreasonable that a female would start laying around 10 to 12 months. According to Axolotl.org, it's not a great idea to breed a female under 18 months old. A tank divider would probably be the best bet if you want them to be able to"visit" each other. Or set up a girls tank and a boys tank and get some new friends! That's what I did!. :D

charleybambino

Reaction score
Just a note...my 8 month old (raised from an egg by me)...Sebastian...laid eggs recently. I now know that "he" Is a "she" and now lives in my girls tank!! She is a massive axi so perhaps matured early?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!