Photo: Is my tank too crowded for my axolotl?

simko

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone
i received this albino axolotl as a "rescue", my friend knew I was interested in these a lot when i was younger, found one on an online classified site that neeeded a new home, I was surprised with this guy (girl?) last week!

I had a 20 gallon long tank with a mesh lid, thanks to some help here i started constructing a home for this little thing.

I decided to make a sponge filter, the sponge i bought was too long/tall but I still wanted lots of filtration for this tank... i may have made something that is TOO large for my tank though :(

I dont think this will be enough for a full grown axolotl, but would this be ok for now?

thank photo:
Imgur

unnamed axolotl
Imgur

Now i know nothing about this axolotl, my friend said it was being kept in a 5gallon bucket, thats about it. I have a small uv flash light for some reason... is this normal of an albino axolotl, or is this a gfp tagged individual?
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

thanks in advnce for all the info/help/suggestions.

You can tell gfp if they are very green . Regular luicistic look milky . I have both and they are easily distinguishable . In my opinion

Looks like you made a nice set-up for the little guy. :) I think there is plenty of room for him.

Are you an experienced aquarist? (Real question, do we have to ask you lost of questions to make sure you understand "the cycle" and basic aquarium maintenance? ;) )

Hi Laura

thanks for the reply, I took care of a couple tanks a while ago, they were much larger (50 and 80 gallons) which in my opinion maintains balance better, this 20 gallon is the smallest tank ive used, personally.

I plan on doing weekly 20-25% water changes, I chose the 2 sponge filter design because I plan on cleaning one filter at a time, that will hopefully leave one sponge full of microbes so my cycle wont crash.

Im just hoping this filter i made is doing a good job cleaning, i only added it this afternoon, im hoping to see some clearer water this week.

Im now thinking of making a larger tank this summer, home depot had some really nice 16"x16" tiles that would look great in the bottom, so im thinking of a 48"x16" tank. I honestly do not think that this tank now (30"x12"x12") would be roomy enough for an adult (12" im guessing)

Definitely not GFP. GFP's glow incredibly green under a black/UV light. Although in that last picture it does seem to have some green on the top of its head, kind of neat!

I've heard that the general rule of thumb on here is 10 gallons per axolotl, so I think he will be fine in there! It took me a long time until I got my tank to look how I want it too (almost 3 years) So you kind of have to muck around with different looks, substrates, hides, etc. I do LOVE how the flower pots look in there, I am sure he loves hiding in them!

This little guy looks old enough for sexing, have you looked for a cloaca as to any insight on its sex? You can always post a picture of him/her and someone on here can help sex! You can tell by looking by its back feet right where the tail connects, if it has a large noticeable bump it is probably male, if its more flat than bumpy you got yourself a little lady!

Uhmm I completely disagree with you. In the second to last picture you can clearly see the green in its eyes which indicates that it is in fact gfp. A uv flashlight might be a little harder to see the body glow but the actual test is to look at the eyes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back