Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lights

birdsong

Reaction score
I know axies don't enjoy light but is there ANY type of light that they can't see ? (I.e. Red or blue etc)

Ange

Reaction score
Snakes can't see the red or blue spectrum so with a red or blue light in the enclosures at night they thought they were in darkness & therefore were easily observable as they moved around. They would not come out of their hides if even a subdued white, yellow or green light was used.
I was wondering if amphibians & in particular axolotls were like reptiles in so far as they may not be able to see certain spectrums or colours? It would be great if there was a coloured globe we could use at night so we could observe the animals without causing undue stress.
Does anyone know if they can see the full spectrum or observed any changes in behavior regarding your animals with changed or coloured lighting?

I posted this a while ago, no one answered. But as a theory it would be interesting to explore.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I don't know in general, but I would expect gfp axies to react to blue light, since blue LED light also makes them glow.

birdsong

Reaction score
Ange your post is much better structured than mine its a shame no one has an answer. And I did not know it was blue led I thought it was a black light. But I hear it's dangerous/uncomfortable for them so I've been avoiding using Any lights . when I read some fact sheets on leeches not being able to see red lights I thought that maybe axies may be the same. How about other species? Any research on any type of salamanders light sensitivity? I may repost on a broader forum topic.

Ange

Reaction score
The red end is low absorption, mid 600, maybe I will get a torch with an old globe, not led light, & cover it with red cellophane to see if there are any behavioral changes. I only had the blue party globes for the snakes as the red gave lower visibility but for the axies it would be sufficient. We should have a little experiment to find out :)

Ange

Reaction score
Just did a google search & there are topics on here about light & axies, will need to do some more looking though.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I figured out the technical terms of interest are "phototaxis" and "phototactic response". A "negative phototactic response" means it will move away from the light, and it is generally wavelength specific. Now, if only I could find some research on axolotls ... But time for bed. :)

birdsong

Reaction score
I think I will try a red led light on there favorite side of the tank and see if they hang out there less than usual. Dies any body see an ethical issue with this?

allied123

Reaction score
Ah, no ethical issue really, but I think it might be more informative and help you decide on a light color better if you read some of those studies :) That way you wouldn't have to buy too many lights and if you really wanted a particular light because you think it looks nice you could get some floating plants to filter the light if it bothered the axies with the light being right on top of them. best of luck and keep us updated on how it goes!

Ange

Reaction score
Give it a try, yes please, let us know of your observations. I think red light is absorbed in water so it has possibilities. Is there a difference between led lights & the old globes in regards to wavelengths & spectrums, I will go & do some research :)

birdsong

Reaction score
I will def do some research and will post results . My end goal is to fit led light rope under my tank and have it shine through some glued down sea glass from underneath. It will be awhile though so please be patient.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!