Question: Havent produced Black melanoinds

Axolotlmama2014

Reaction score
Country
United States
I Have had several batches from my Black melanoid and my Wild type but have had no black melanoids hatchlings why not ? thanks in advance

Your wild type doesn't carry the melanoid gene. The babies need to get it from both parents to become melanoid.

Your wild type does not carry the black melanoid gene. Melanoid is a recessive trait, so they need one melanoid gene from each parent to show the melanoid trait. Both parents have to carry the gene for it to show in the offspring. Your babies are het for melanoid, so they are carrying the melanoid gene and will be able to pass it on to their offspring.

Thank you both I figured that had something to do with it , I have some babies I recently got that the mother was a golden albino who is a melanoid carrier if I breed one of them to my own babies would I get melanoids ?

Not necessarily. If the mother was a carrier only half the babies will carry a melanoid gene. You might have to try several pairings to find one that carried a melanoid gene. Or better still, cross your melanoid wih the albino's babies.

my wild type is a carrier of leucistic but I guess the same applies to getting any leucistics

Yes. If your wildtype carries a leucistic gene you should get 50% leucistic babies if you cross it with a leucisitc, or 25% if you cross it with another leucisitc carrier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back