Shipping baby axolotols

snomomo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
MaRia
Hello, i am new to this site...and i am looking for information to ship axolotls. my axolotls (whom i thought both girls..) had babies. i have manage to rehome some of them but i still have plenty. so i am thinking about doing it online.
my question is How do i ship them? i have read many things online, watch youtube videos, and to my understanding, it is ok to ship them by USPS flat rate box priority that will take 2-3 days to arrive. but then i went to post office to ask and they said it has to be Express (next day). anybody have personal experience? would you mind sharing it with me? i am in maryland, so maybe somebody here have local experience?
i have an idea how to pack them so that they can be safe, but i dont know the process of mailing them out.. please help..

thanks in advance :)

I don't have any advice on shipping them, but if you figure it out I would love to maybe buy some from you. :)

No info here either but I'd love to watch the responses you get as I have some I might like to ship online as well, I have too many also :)

Here is another thread on shipping. Hope that helps.

Rachel1, Thank you so much for the link.. it HELPS!!!!

Just received my first juvenile axolotls via USPS 2-day priority mail. They were double bagged with pure oxygen in half the bag, water and cut slips of plastic (presumably to prevent nipping) in the other half. There was also a cold pack, with everything enclosed in a styrofoam lined cardboard box.

I've seen some "unboxing" videos on Youtube as well, so you can take a peek at the way some others are packaging them that way, too! :D

Hi Rena, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out where to get the O2--like the one they use in fish store. I really need to figure this out soon... It's getting harder to feed 70+ babies.. They are getting big and have huge appetite!!! They hatched dec 9, n most of them are already 3-4 inch now..

USPS flat rate priority shipping, make sure theyre shipped in air tight bags, half oxygen half water. Make sure ypu fast them 3 days before shipping as well

Have you figured it out ? I might be interested in buy one from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eep, I'm late back to this party! And buckle up, cause I'm gearing up to ramble here. Disclaimer: This is my method, but by no means am I declaring it the holy grail of shipping.

I have seen canned oxygen on various websites including eBay. Medical grade oxygen is outrageously pricey and I don't know anywhere that doesn't require a prescription for it, as absurd as that seems.

One alternative is to get a welding tank. Gas companies will refill this as long as you tell them you are using it for purposes other than getting an O2 high haha.

Given the infrequency with which we have to ship, and that I only send one axolotl per bag with plenty of water, I just said to heck with O2 and used my air pump to fill up the bag, bubbling it in the water which I treated with Prime dechlorinator. And even if the axolotl is going to a neighboring city in Texas, I still package him like he was going to the moon instead. X)

From outside to innermost layer:
- Flat rate shipping box
- Lined with cut styrofoam to fit all sides and cover the top
- *Further* lined with newspaper and grocery bags lol
- Restaurant "to go" box container (plastic, we get them in bulk online)
- Thick plastic aquarium grade bag (1/2 Prime treated water, half regular air)
- And don't forget the axolotl!

I label the box "live fish" -- inaccurate but people are goofy and don't read, plus "amphibian" takes up too much space on the box. Priority 1-day shipping, or 2 day if the weather is exceptionally good, Mondays only so if some delay happens, they won't end up stuck somewhere on a Sunday.

If there's even a slight risk of them getting warm along the journey, an easy cold pack can be made from buying bulk polymer water crystals, which you may already have if you are weirdos who breed roaches (like us) or crickets (if you have no scent receptors in your nose :p). Hydrate the crystals, freeze them, bag them and add them to the package.

Et voila! We have never had a DOA, but we always err on the side of caution with shipping our 'lotls.

I hope it all goes well for you! Good luck.

Eep, I'm late back to this party! And buckle up, cause I'm gearing up to ramble here. Disclaimer: This is my method, but by no means am I declaring it the holy grail of shipping.

I have seen canned oxygen on various websites including eBay. Medical grade oxygen is outrageously pricey and I don't know anywhere that doesn't require a prescription for it, as absurd as that seems.

One alternative is to get a welding tank. Gas companies will refill this as long as you tell them you are using it for purposes other than getting an O2 high haha.

Given the infrequency with which we have to ship, and that I only send one axolotl per bag with plenty of water, I just said to heck with O2 and used my air pump to fill up the bag, bubbling it in the water which I treated with Prime dechlorinator. And even if the axolotl is going to a neighboring city in Texas, I still package him like he was going to the moon instead. X)

From outside to innermost layer:
- Flat rate shipping box
- Lined with cut styrofoam to fit all sides and cover the top
- *Further* lined with newspaper and grocery bags lol
- Restaurant "to go" box container (plastic, we get them in bulk online)
- Thick plastic aquarium grade bag (1/2 Prime treated water, half regular air)
- And don't forget the axolotl!

I label the box "live fish" -- inaccurate but people are goofy and don't read, plus "amphibian" takes up too much space on the box. Priority 1-day shipping, or 2 day if the weather is exceptionally good, Mondays only so if some delay happens, they won't end up stuck somewhere on a Sunday.

If there's even a slight risk of them getting warm along the journey, an easy cold pack can be made from buying bulk polymer water crystals, which you may already have if you are weirdos who breed roaches (like us) or crickets (if you have no scent receptors in your nose :p). Hydrate the crystals, freeze them, bag them and add them to the package.

Et voila! We have never had a DOA, but we always err on the side of caution with shipping our 'lotls.

I hope it all goes well for you! Good luck.

Thank you so much!!!! this is very descriptive. i am posting it on FS(USA) now that i have it figured out!! and yes, i am one of the weirdos... lol. my axolotls are getting gigantic now. they hatched dec 9 and now they are 4.5-5in.. :D eat much!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back