Question: Had an axolotl adult, how to care for babies?

xscarymsmaryx

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Teh Niarr
Maybe you guys can help me!

I had an axolotl years ago that I bought as an adult. I recently decided I wanted another, and have had some trouble finding any for sale. I did see this Gumtree ad, however (Axolotl babies - Cold Water fish - Goldfish alternative - 2 for £10 | United Kingdom | Gumtree) from someone who is selling babies born on 26 December. He suggests keeping them in a small Tupperware box until they are big enough to go into a tank.

My tank is 18 x 12 x 12in. I was wondering first, how easy the babies are to care for in smaller boxes. I have frozen bloodworm ready to go in the freezer, but I'm scared I'll accidentally kill such tiny things off! Secondly, at what age could they be transferred to my tank?

Any advice is appreciated, and if it sounds like I should try to hold out until I can get an older axolotl then I am happy to do that!

Taking care of babies isn't too hard once they start to eat dead food. Main things are good water quality, right temperature and nutritious food - same as for adults. Once they're about 10 cm long, they're ready to live on sand bottom and that is when I usually put the babies in an aquarium, but if you have bare bottom, you can put the babies in even earlier. If you keep them in smaller uncycled tubs, you need to do 100% water changes daily or every other day depending how fast the axies foul the water. Try to find a tub as big as possible so it's easier to maintain good water quality and the axie has space to move around.

But to be honest that seller doesn't sound very knowledgeable. Have you checked the "for sale" section on this forum? I know there are reputable breeders in UK who are also active on this forum so maybe some of them might have babies at the moment too.

I had a quick look on the forum but nothing local's been posted since last year - and I don't have a car (relying on a friend to nip me there and back to pick the axolotl up) so can't do a long journey. I sent off a couple of enquiries to members, and to an aquatics shop someone had recommended, but haven't heard anything back as yet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back