Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Should i move my tank?

simko

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So im looking at my bare bottomed tank, I would like to add some vegetation to it! Since I dont have any aquarium lighting, I was thinking of moving my tank where it will get some sunlight.

The room that my tank is in has a window facing east, it would get some sun in the early morning, currently it is in the same room, but is butted against a northfacing interior wall, so it never gets direct sunlight.
I would like to grow javamoss , the tank gets a small amout of indirect light, I dont plan on buying a lighted canopy, so i thought moving the tank where it will get more light may be good for the plants.. but im not sure how it would be for the axolotl... it has plenty of hiding spots, but wanted to ask the opinions of more experienced individuals here.

Will java moss be ok in a non lit tank that doesnt receive much natural light? Will moving the tank be ok for my axolotl?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
It would be best not to have the tank in direct sun. I think the success of the moss depends on how much indirect light it would get. I had a rather large clump growing in an indirectly lit tank once.

AguamigosTexas

Reaction score
Anubias works well with the conditions you're describing. It's one of the plants even I can't kill! (All my plants are "drought tolerant" except for the aquatic ones.)

allied123

Reaction score
Also unfortunately another downside of direct sunlight is that it'll probably heat up your tank, so maybe test the area you're thinking of before you actually move the tank? good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1