What to feed my new hatchlings?

Admm92

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm working on my second batch of Iberian Ribbed Newts. First batch was about a year or so ago and only 2 babies survived out of plenty. But I forgot what I fed them. I know baby brine shrimp. But the new batch are 2 months old already and have front legs. I've been feeding them brine shrimp. But I was wondering if they could eat blood worms or anything else? Even micro fish pellets?? I have over 30 and they are growing but I don't want them to all die. What do you feed your babies? ** also I do a 90% water change daily And they are 2 per cup. Last time they all ate each other.. :/ any ideas?

They might manage small bloodworm, my Cynops larvae can eat them at about seven days old and they are really tiny. Daphnia would probably be easiest, if you can get it. There's always a range of sizes in a Daphnia colony so the smallest ones always get a meal.

I've had great success using chopped up blackworms. I put them on a cutting board and chopped them into tiny bits, then fed it to the larvae. Just remember to do a water change later to remove any uneaten bits. Congratulations on hatching them!:D:D:D

I used to feed my larvae with artemia, its nice because they are alive and all larvaes like them, and its relatively easy to buy, because they come in dry eggs. Yes eggs, you hatch them so, you have ''large'' amounts! I Buy JBL Artemia-eggs, dont know if they keep selling it...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back