My Axie doesn't want to eat?

lucyz83

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, i made a thread not long ago because my axie was constipated and hadn't pooped in some time ( http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...01319-my-axolotl-isnt-pooping.html#post439968 ) I, as a result fridged him for about 3-4 days (he passed a fair amount of waste) and changed his substrate to slate as the aquarium sand seemed to have blocked him up.

He ate bloodworms for 2 days after being fridged, then yesterday i tried to give him more and he didn't eat them, i then tried to give him a normal earthworm like he usually eats today but he refused it. I'm quite worried, and i don't want to have to fridge him again if i don't have to.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok so I skimmed down that former post and it looks like you have a great setup, but I didn't notice any filtration. I'd suggest testing the water (especially for ammonia and nitrite/nitrate) if you haven't already. I'm pretty vigilant about water changes, but without a filter I'd be up the creek of effluence people sometimes talk about. ;)

If it's not an internal issue like impaction, it could be something in the water itself causing your axolotl to stress and turn down food. Hopefully we can get your cutie sorted out and eating again soon!

Sorry the photo had a lot of glare and the filter has a large plant in front of it so the water flow doesn't annoy him (i'll attach another photo, it's the black thing in the left corner)
The tank has been very good with levels, i'm about to do his weekly water change and i'll do a test again today (i did one a few days ago before he went back in the tank and there everything was fine so i'll post the levels when it's done :)

It shouldn't be impaction as he pooped a fair amount of sand (you might be able to see in the pictures in that last thread) Thanks so much for the reply by the way! :)

Attachments

• 2015-03-07 06.06.45.jpg
    2015-03-07 06.06.45.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 172
Applause for your sneaky secret agent filter. I just use HOBs, mostly Aquaclear.

I'm glad to hear your levels have been so well maintained, but that does make this a more puzzling problem. Our biggest axolotl (the mother of our first batch of hatchlings ever, and she's now 14 inches long!) used to eat everything we put in front of her, but she seems less interested in worms lately. If she spits one out on feeding day, I switch to thawed krill instead. Never once seen her turn that down, the spoiled gal. :rolleyes: Maybe your lotl will go for that!

Happy to help; chat at me any time.

Haha that made my day XD I actually can't remember what it's mode is, so i'll call it that from now on XD
okay here are the tanks current levels:

PH: Between 7.0 & 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Between 0 & 5.0

I'll try a few different things and see if he'll take interest i have pellets there as well which he used to eat from my hands so maybe he'll like those, i'll see if i can hunt up some frozen krill and maybe that'll take his fancy. I just find it odd that he was eating a couple of days ago and suddenly he doesn't want anything :p

(refraining really hard from making a "shrimp on the barbie" joke)

I subscribed to this post so I can be alerted if you post about his progress. :love:

(haha that would be rather hilarious) XD

That's great thank you :)
I think he must still be constipated, i saw him this morning with his back legs held up. He doesn't show signs of stress like curled gills or tail, I'm really not sure what to do..

Attachments

• 2015-03-07 20.44.55.jpg
    2015-03-07 20.44.55.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 159
Hm if you suspect he's impacted again, back to the fridge may be best while you wait. After this, hopefully you can rule out the previous sand as the cause. He's got to work it all out of there some time.

I am sorry you are still having troubles with him. It may be worth placing him back in the fridge and see if he passes anything further. He may not want to eat in the fridge as it is cold but as long as he is not getting too skinny he will be fine in that regard.

Yeah it looks like he might have to go back in :/ He ate when he initially got out of the fridge so he shouldn't loose too much weight hopefully.

Thanks so much for your help you guys :) hopefully he'll get better soon.

So sorry for the late reply.

He's doing very well! He had a great big poop in the fridge, is currently in his tank and is eating well so far :)
I figured out why he refuses worms from my hands now ( i think he's scared of me cause he thinks i might put him in the fridge again) but i put them on the slate tile so they wiggle about and he hunts them and slurps them right up :)

That is great news! So glad to hear he is eating again :) thanks for the update :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back