Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do I move the hatchlings without harm?

deciscokid

Reaction score
I have all the eggs in a 10 gallon tank and they will be hatching anyday, and when they do I plan on moving them into containers with shallow water but I am not sure which way is the best to move them without harming them? I was planning on using a net with a coffee filter lining it so they dont get caught in the holes of the net. Do you guys have any better methods? Thanks alot!

charleybambino

Reaction score
An old fashioned mesh tea strainer works well. I have also used a turkey baster as the pressure is very low. Good luck.

rachel1

Reaction score
I use my turkey baster. Works great up until about 1"long. I suck them up headfirst and then put my finger over the end to avoid accidentally dropping them. Turning it horizontally also helps.

jord

Reaction score
As they get larger I found that the turkey baster would cause the shells to rupture from the "sucking" motion. Majority survived but others we too premature to survive.

rachel1

Reaction score
We were talking about larvae that are newly hatched out of the egg. I try not to move eggs too much during development, but if I need to I either gently pour them with a little water or pick them up in my hand. Newly laid eggs can be moved pretty successfully by baster if you are gentle, but as they start to develop the egg becomes too large. Trying to force a larger egg through the opening in a turkey baster will most likely rupture the egg.

Momo

Reaction score
This is why a lot of people use plants or artificial ones. The axolotl will lay her eggs on something like plants. If, in your case, she did lay eggs on the plants, I was told by many breeders that you can simply remove the plants with the eggs attached to it from the tank of the adults and place he plants in a fully oxygenated tank. Where did she lay them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1