Juvies refuse to eat what's made for them

birdsong

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have four luecistic juveniles and they won't eat earth worms. I chop them up small enough and they have eaten them once before but now they will just grab them , chew them, and spit them out . Are they just spoiled or is There something wrong with the worms? They love black worms but they are getting expensive with four growing mouths to feed. Any experience in specific food refusal from you other lotl parents? Btw the worms are store bought from my local fish store so contamination is unlikely .

What kind of worms? If they are red wiggler (Eisenia fetida - the stinky worms) then that would be a reason. Apparently, they taste as bad as they smell. Some axies will never eat them - either they spit them out or throw them up.

If they are non-stinky earth worms, they might just be spoiled. Sometimes if you just don't feed them anything else for a few days, they will decide that earthworms are better than being hungry.

You could try some sinking carnivore pellets also. They are cheaper than black worms and some axies love them. Check to make sure the protein content is animal protein.

Good luck!

Sorry I'm not read up on my worm classification but there . . . Night crawlers ? Or regular American worms you can find anywhere in the U.S. They seem to be alive and fine but I did buy the last of the shops stock so maybe there just old . I'm planning a black worm culture tank hopefully this will solve my troubles . As I'm trying to keep them on live foods only. I have some guppies breeding and plan on offering the fry to my little guys . Thanks for the advice!

Red wigglers has a definite stink to them. You'd notice. :happy: As long as the worms are active, they should be OK. (Pet stores tend to sell both night crawlers and red wigglers. Night crawlers are usually much bigger.)

Blackworms are great for young axies, but are harder to feed older axies - the individual worms are too small to be of interest.

I buy worms labeled either "trout worms" or "nightcrawlers". The red wiggles are sold as "red wiggles" or as"composting worms". Keep trying, it sometimes takes a few tries for juvies to figure out a new food. It helps if they get a little hungry. Blackworms are easier to feed the larger juvies when you allow them to roll into their defensive worm ball.

Forgot to mention- try blanching the worms before feeding. All have a defensive slime that seems off putting to some animals. Mine will grab blanched worms before chopped live. My blue spotted salamanders never cared, but the axis have been more picky.

Thanks i haven't read that yet and may be very helpful i will post results. I suppose a 1-2 minute Barth in simmering water?

You can just pour really hot water over them for a few seconds. I put mine in a cup, add boiling water, wait 3-5 seconds til they stop moving, then pour off the hot and give them a rinse in cold water to cool them off before feeding. Even if the worms are still alive, they won't slime when you chop them and animals accept them better.

Wow, thats amazing, i never would have thpught of blanching. What made you try that?

Blanching worked! Thank you so much they gobble them down like hungry little pigs . I just hold them under my very hot faucet water until they stop moving and then cut them into quarters and then hand feed them .

Blanching worked! Thank you so much they gobble them down like hungry little pigs . I just hold them under my very hot faucet water until they stop moving and then cut them into quarters and then hand feed them .

Awesome! :cool:

Yes Betty it is . It really saves me on food because black worms were getting pricey with four mouths to feed . Could you suggest to someone that has the authority to post a sticky in the foods section as I feel it would help many new owners with there axoltls

Yes Betty it is . It really saves me on food because black worms were getting pricey with four mouths to feed . Could you suggest to someone that has the authority to post a sticky in the foods section as I feel it would help many new owners with there axoltls

I'll do what I can. It's definitely some valuable information. :)

My axolotl still refuses worms after blanching. I even tried to fry them and boil them once out of desperation. ( Not with oil of course, and I made sure they were cool before feeding. )
I use "salamander pellets" now, but are there other methods of making worms appetizing?

Have you tried more than one kind of worm? Mine find Eisinia fetida (red wigglers) completely inedible. They will take most other species.

And if it keeps refusing worms, I wouldn't worry about it and would just feed pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back