Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

125 gallon axolotl tank

ticonick

Reaction score
Okay so I hatched these little guys and since the day that I got the eggs in the mail until today, I've been building this monster axie tank! It's 125 gallons in the main tank with a 60 gallon sump. This is their first night in the aquarium and I'm basically just looking for some creative ideas from the Caudata family! Please any suggestions, criticism, and comments are greatly appreciated!

Also I'm
Having trouble uploading multiple images

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,611

birdsong

Reaction score
Less sand to prevent noxious gas build up . more hides and lots more plant lol . that's just my 2cents worth. Looks great though

dennacerise

Reaction score
I just want to second the noxious gas buildup from the comment above. I thought this was sort of bogus when I first heard it ( :eek: ), since I had a lot of sand in my tank and had no problems. Then recently I moved some stuff around in my tank, and all these bubbles were coming out of the sand. And not to be gross, but they were SUPER smelly. :sick: I felt bad for my poor axies living in that muck until it cleared (took a day or two). Yep. Sand can make problems in the long run. Haha.

But anyways, your tank is looking good! :D

birdsong

Reaction score
Lol yes I had that same experience! I was like "psh noxious gas my *** " then I did a deep clean and BOOM ! face full of fart gas lol

ticonick

Reaction score
This sand is actually what I used for my community tank for about 8 years and I never had the issue of the gas, but I also go through with a pvc pipe and air pump to get all the solid waste high enough to pickup with a net about twice a week. I'll be sure to keep on top of that though! As for plants, I'm just growing some in another tank until they'll fill this bad boy up

AguamigosTexas

Reaction score
Beautiful! I have a 125 too, but it has been taken over by adorable turtles instead of our axolotls. X) Lotls are in pretty much every *other* aquarium and pool in the house.

Most definitely second the live plants. I favor anubias because it's so hardy and requires barely any light, plus it's a sturdy plant for the axolotls to use when they lay eggs.

Attachments

• egglets 2.jpg
    egglets 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 549
  • egglets 4.jpg
    egglets 4.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 522
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1