Question: Easiest and least messy way to feed an Axie?

brelove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Breanna
Does anybody have any tips on the easiest way to feed an axolotl? I was reading through some threads that sounded like some people use a jar or bowl to put the food in and put it in the tank... Is this true? And is it effective in not making a mess around the tank? Right now I just drop the blood worms and brine shrimp in the tank and they scatter the bottom of it. It is hard to clean up all the excess food that the little guy does not eat. Any tips in this department would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D

I use a three inch terra cotta dish i suggest hand feeding then switching to dish as they will learn to follow your tongs to the bowl since your in Washington I'm sure you can find black worms i find these easiest to feed

I feed my axies with forceps, which ends in spoons. It look like this, but with longer barrel:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/222891804/Spoon_forceps_for_bladder_tumor.jpg

Mostly, they get frozen little fishes, and they can bite it out very skillfully. But even if I give them bloodworms, it keeps the melted cube in one piece, until they catch it out of it. I love it, and also they know immediately that it is lunchtime as they see the forceps in my hand.

It is very cheap, you can by it in any medical shop. :happy:

Some people who feed food that pollutes the water easily (like bloodworms) use feeding jars, but axxies need to get used to these before they can use them. The idea behind the jars is that the food ends up at the end of the jar because of water pressure, and when you pick it up the food is kept inside, making it easier to clean.

I use live earthworms, which are swallowed whole and leave no mess.

For messy jobs, like cleaning up poop, I use a turkey baster. These are cheap and easily available from hardware or home stores.

Should I not be feeding my guy frozen bloodworms directly? I usually chop them in half, then hand feed it to him. I haven't had any problems so far, but I don't want to be causing the bugger some hidden pain.

All frozen food should be defrosted first - you'll give your axie an 'ice-cream headache' if you don't.

The least messy way to feed an axie is to feed live earthworms or earthworm pieces by hand or with tongs.

Thanks for the heads up. By the time i've chopped the block in half, walked down to him, and dangled it in front of him, it's usually warming up anyhoo. But i'll try defrosting them next time. He's mainly on pellets these days anyway, so the bloodworms are rare...

When I use to feed mine bloodworms, I defrosted and sucked it into a turkey baster. I have a shallow plant pot saucer in the tank and I would squirt it in there. They would smell or tatse it in the water and swim up to the dish. It was much tidier compared to what I hear about how others feed their axies. They never ate them all so I'd still have to suck them up later.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back