Question: These are eggs correct ?

Axolotlmama2014

Reaction score
Country
United States
If these are eggs then I think my Axolotls are very confused that or the lady I got them from a while back was incorrect on the sex .... ???????????? sorry bout the pics my camera flash is broken
is it possible for them to be (hermaphrodites) ? I mean that would explain a lot because the one who has testies like a male was said to be a Female and has always laid the lil clear jellies , Then one time the other one who was said to be my male which has a smooth bottom left lil sperm , now the one who produced the things in the pic below is the one who left the lil white sperm before so what's up ?

Attachments

• laying in progress.jpg
    laying in progress.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 165
  • lay'n n progress.jpg
    lay'n n progress.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
It does look like eggs, but that picture is very hard to decipher. If you have fertile eggs, you have one male and one female- no hermaphrodites. Are you sure the female wasn't picking up the spermataphores? They will pick them up with their cloaca and fertilization occurs inside the female. If the eggs are dark colored, they were layed by a wildtype, melanoid, or leucistic, so if your animals are different colors that could help identify which is the male. You can post pictures of them if you want us to try to sex them. Axolotl.org has an embryo development log that shows great pictures of eggs you can compare. I think they have a spermataphore pic also. The eggs look very much like frog eggs- a small brown or white dot inside a clear jelly coat. They will change shape as they develop. Spermataphores look like a jelly blob with a stalk and a white dot on top.

If I look really really hard, I think I see some little spheres that look like eggs :D

thanks and yes they are hard to see .So the lady I got them from was very wrong =) but idc im happy with them , and I love proven my hub wrong these are from a 1yr old black melaniod female who was said to be my male oops name change her name is Nyx she is still laying . :bowl:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back