Illness/Sickness: Poor Skinny Milky

JS

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My daughter's axolotl, Milky, hasn't eaten in over a week. She had been on a diet of only black worms and I think she was severely constipated. I fridged her and after a day she did a big poo. On her left side she seems clear but on her right side there is still a lot of dark stuff in her organs. She didn't want to eat while fridged. After another 24 hrs there seemed to be no change so I thought maybe she should come out and an increased metabolism might help move a higher blockage. I believe I did the de-fridge gently with slow water changes over 2 days but now she's in the tank she looks worse. Gills and fin shrivelled. Skin flaking off and not eating. I've tried different foods. No joy. Checked water condition with a sample at the local aquarium. All good. Temp around 18 deg C. She's very skinny and only little. About 4 inches. Albino. I thought she was dead today but she is still hanging on. Is there anything I can do for her? I'm cooling some aged water now for a partial water change. Might jog her appetite.

Did the store provide the actual readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? I would invest in your own liquid testing kit as you should be testing at least once a week (more often if the tank is cycling) and many stores will say the water is fine when in there is actually something not quite right.

Cool, clean water and you could try a black tea bath to soothe her skin. I am not sure what you may have already tried but in case you haven't you could offer chopped up earthworms (as long as not acquired from a source where any chemicals such as fertilisers or pesticides are used). Whilst trying to tempt her to eat you could try scallops. I have heard they can be tempting for axies who won't eat.

Also, are you using a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine and chloramine from the water?

It seems as if there have been allot of Australian axolotl deaths and illness recently how old is your guy

I'm not sure how old she is and the store I got her from couldn't tell me but she is only about 4 inches long so I think quite young.
I went to another store for the water test which they do as a free service and their's seems quite thorough. If Milky pulls through I will get my own kit but it is quite an investment. I have a ph kit but the full kit is pricey.
I will try the scallops tomorrow and I will apply black tea bath now.
From past posts, 1 bag for every 10 L to be applied every other day. I have an Eheim filter with a sponge. That's ok to keep on? And a 60% water change in a week? Does all this sound right?

The testing kits are pricey but last ages. I use the API freshwater master kit and find it is reliable and lasts a long time. I would still make sure they tell you the actual readings to be sure whist getting the stores to test for you.

That all sounds ok, but if I knew what the parameters were, I could offer more advice on whether you may need to change the frequency of water changes.

Keep us posted

Hi all,
Thank you for your advice. Milky died on Friday night. I am very sad but not surprised. She was was so thin she looked like a gecko.
I'm not sure if I will get another axo. I would like to but am nervous! I have had fish successfully in the past. It was my daughters pet so I'll leave that decision to her. Thank you all once again.

Im so sorry for your loss ,you tried your best
and im sure that milky was a great axolotl.

I am sorry for your loss :(. You did everything you could.

There is a wealth of information on this forum and a great community here who would be very willing to support you and your daughter if you do decide to get another axolotl when you are ready.

Sorry to hear, as a new member and soon to be owner of one this is my biggest fear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back