Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting ready for a axy. *first time owner*

NovaRose

Reaction score
So ive been wanting an axolotl for years and im finally getting one. After my mom saw how cute my leopard gecko Loki was,she finally agreed to an axy. Im going with just one for now, and im getting a 10 gallon tank with a Aqueon QuietFlow filter i think (pros?cons?) and probably API Freshwater PH Test Kit, 250 tests per Kit (pros?cons?). Im planning on getting everything next week and having the water cycle for a 2-4 weeks until the water is perfect, and then ordering my axy. Im ordering hopefully a white one, not albino, but i forgot the name leucistic or something xD Im hopefully getting black sand, and testing it for iron first with a magnet. Im getting these *fake* plants (these ones) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SVSB3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U

But i dont know about a hide yet. Cannot find a commercial one. Might have to check my hardware store for appropriate sized pvc pipes.

Someone delivers bugs for my leo for me every week, and she also breeds earthworms too, so its a win win

How does my "plan" sound? Any changes in supplies?

Thanks

auntiejude

Reaction score
OK, you've got a good start there.

But you will need a master test kit, not just pH, one that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as a minimum.

If you can afford it get a bigger tank, 10gal is quite small and your axie would be much happier in 20gal. Easier to keep clean too.

Have you read up on cycling? it doesn't happen in the water, it's about growing good bacteria in the filter. You need a food source for the bacteria (ammonia).

Hides can be almost anything non-toxic - plastic piples, plant pots, ceramic jugs.

If your axies is small (under 5 inches) you shouldn't add sand until he is bigger because it can cause impaction when he eats it - which is inevitable.

Skudo09

Reaction score
As Auntiejude has already suggested, I would get the Master kit as you will need to be testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as PH regularly (at least once a week once the tank is cycled but more often whilst it is in the process of cycling). Read up on cycling as the process is not just letting the water sit for some time. You will need an ammonia source to provide food to the good bacteria. One type of bacteria feeds on the ammonia and converts it into nitrite. Then another type of bacteria starts feeding on nitrite and converts it to nitrate. Both ammonia and nitrite are toxic to axolotls. Nitrate is also toxic but less so and we keep nitrate at a safe level (below 40ppm) by doing regular weekly water changes. So whilst the tank is cycling and you are providing an ammonia source, there will be spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once the tank reads zero for both ammonia and nitrite and there is some nitrate your tank is cycled. I recommend fish less cycling method as it is safer for your new axolotl and quicker and I believe a lot easier.

Also get a thermometer to monitor the water temperature. It is important to make sure the water doesn't get too warm (ideally you want 16-18celsius). You may need to invest in fans in Summer if your tank gets a bit too warm.

Cacique

Reaction score
I wanted to point out real quick that plastic plants can be a danger, as they can be hard and sharp and injure your axie. You can get some easy to keep live plants that will grow with just indirect sun light or a CFL bulb like anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, marimo moss balls and others I can't think of. Anything low light and that can tolerate the colder temperature would work well.

If you can go up in tank, I would go for a 20 long instead of a 20 high so the axie will have more surface area to roam. An air stone and air pump, while not needed, are also a good addition if it's something you wanted to add down the road.

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I wanted to point out real quick that plastic plants can be a danger, as they can be hard and sharp and injure your axie. You can get some easy to keep live plants that will grow with just indirect sun light or a CFL bulb like anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, marimo moss balls and others I can't think of. Anything low light and that can tolerate the colder temperature would work well.

I've never had any problems with fake plants, so I would just follow that to your discretion. If you notice any cuts or your axie not enjoying the plastic plants then I would remove them. But I have had plastic plants in both my tanks for as long as I've had Puckles and Brent and they've never had any problems with them.

Ask a LOT of questions, and know that nobody here is being rude they just want to help and make sure your Lotl is safe and happy. They are interesting guys and it takes a while to get used to their weird habits!!

tammyaxie

Reaction score
U sound very proactive. Kudos. A 10 gollon tank is sufficient for one axie but we axie owners always seem to end up with more so if you're like me, you can upgrade to 20 gal after a while. I have two juvies in 10 gallons and they almost never cross paths. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1