Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: **urgent help needed***

Julianashepp

Reaction score
I am currently in contact with a pet store that doesn't know anything about axolotls. My friend works there and I am helping them with a very sick axolotl that I discovered there. It's tail is very short due to what looks to be a fungus infection, it's gills are almost non existent and it has red stripes on its body. It's foot also looks to be bitten off. Please help. This is very urgent as it is very lethargic already and I fear it's life. Thank you. Please recommend treatments.

Attachments

• 5014.jpg
    5014.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 178

rachel1

Reaction score
I would move them into their own containers with no substrate, and 100% water changes once or twice daily depending on container size. They need to be kept in a cool location. Feed live blackworms and chopped blanched earthworm 2-3x per day. It looks mostly healthy but malnourished and nipped to me. If you are worried about fungus, I would do a 10 minute soak in cool tap water that has not been treated with dechlorinator. I don't see fungus, that looks more like they are starving and eating each other to me. The red on the left side is its heart, that is normal anatomy. I think with good water quality, no gravel, frequent feelings, and getting rid of the tank mates they could potentially still turn around.

Julianashepp

Reaction score
I am aware they they are very malnourished looking. I've already addressed that. It is not the red on its side I am referring to, it's not easy to see because the picture has a high saturation but there are red (what look to be stress stripes) on its back legs and tail. It has already been removed from the tank and they're treating it with melafix though I told them to be careful with the dosing of it.

Julianashepp

Reaction score
The "fungus" I was referring to is at the top of its tail where it looks to be fuzzy. It is hard to see in the picture

rachel1

Reaction score
I would proceed with caution with the melafix. I would not use it if it were my animal. Just soaking in tap water that still has chlorine in it is often sufficient to knock off fungus. I would try that first before more harsh medications. Red stripes can be a symptom of systemic infection, so antibiotics may be advisable. Injected antibiotics administered by a vet are the most effective, but antibiotics in the water might work. Caudata culture has a page on amphibian safe medications. Ambystoma.org is also a good resource, and I believe they talk about a couple antibiotic protocols there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1