Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese Fire Belly Newt Issue

Reaction score
He keeps climbing up the side of the tank to avoid the water. I'm afraid he's going to dry out if he stays up there all night while I'm asleep. The water is about 1 inch high and he seems to be an adult because I can tell he is a male. Any ideas?

CatSpit

Reaction score
I've never had a newt dry out in a tank with water in it, it's only if they escape the tank and can't find a water source that it's an issue. You do have a good lid on your tank and have taped off any holes in it, right?

Reaction score
Yes. But the problem is that he seems to be hydrophobic. He does fine in about half an inch of water but once it goes over his head he freaks out and tries to climb up the side of the tank. I'm not sure why this is because I know that juveniles are not fond of water but I don't think he is that young. I just got him today and he hasn't eaten anything either. I tried thawed blood worms and pinhead crickets but he just turns his head away. I read that that is normal but he is quite thin.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Climbing is normal for hydrophobic newts in a setup with water, they come down eventually if its filled with a lot of plants. Try feeding or leaving chopped nightcrawler or earthworm in the tank with it in the dark and leave it there, you can try putting them on a moist papertowel if you don't want the worms getting lost in the plants.

Methos5K

Reaction score
That newt has been through terrible conditions to get to where it is now. Most likely the "water" it has been exposed to during its long shipping was in poor condition, thus its aversion to it now. 1 inch water depth will not work long term, as these newts are almost exclusively aquatic. A 10 gallon tank with nearly 10 gallons of water; loaded with floating plants with a floating cork log is ideal. Chopped earthworms or night crawlers should be the staple diet, but if you can get them to eat newt pellets you'll be set.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
That newt has been through terrible conditions to get to where it is now. Most likely the "water" it has been exposed to during its long shipping was in poor condition, thus its aversion to it now. 1 inch water depth will not work long term, as these newts are almost exclusively aquatic. A 10 gallon tank with nearly 10 gallons of water; loaded with floating plants with a floating cork log is ideal. Chopped earthworms or night crawlers should be the staple diet, but if you can get them to eat newt pellets you'll be set.

The one inch of water is simply to re-introduce the newt to water, it should not be used for long term by any means, the newt would start out with one inch with gradual increases every few weeks.
Putting a hydrophobic newt in 10 gallons of water will most likely result in the newt drowning due to not being adapted for aquatic life.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the info you need is in this thread, have a read and use the search function, there's thread after thread about sick, anorexic pet store firebellies, all answered in the same way. If there's anything you are unsure about afterwards ask away. Nobody minds answering questions, but you need to do your own research to help yourself as well.

What happened to the Japanese fire belly from the breeder?

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
This IS that JFB newt. I was told that was what he is, but when I got him I was sure he is in fact Chinese.

I would not trust someone selling something if they don't know what specie it is, and because of this theres probably a very good chance that this animal is wild caught

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't you ask the breeder about their set up and what they were feeding them?
When I sell baby fire bellies I always make sure the new owner know exactly how they've been housed and what food they were raised on. I also let them know they can email me if they have any problems as I'm sure most breeders do.

Reaction score
I went outside and found some earthworms. I cut off a piece small enough for him to eat but he won't take it. Can I chop up the worm and leave it floating in the tank?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
It should be fine in the tank for a little while, just make sure the worms were collected in a pesticide-free area

Reaction score
Thanks. He hasn't eaten in almost 2 days. How can I get him to eat? I read earthworms are the best thing for them but if he won't take them what should I do?

Reaction score
Yes. I have read a lot of posts. I'm going to leave some worms in there for him, hopefully he will go for them.

CatSpit

Reaction score
I also use long tweezers to feed my newts their worms, that way they don't seem to 'shy away' as much as they would with my hand being in front of their faces :) But as you've read, it may take a while for yours to adjust and start eating...

Reaction score
Update: I've offered him crickets, thawed bloodworms and chopped up earthworms with my feeding tweezers. He just moves his head away. The water is about an inch and a half deep with some moss, rocks and paper towel for substrate. I put him in the water and he freaks. It's bottled water so I know that's not the problem. I kept him in my closet today because I read that you should keep them in the dark so they can get used to their surroundings. He just sits on his ball of moss and only moves around it. I picked him up to see if he would eat in my hand and he crawled all around it, which I think is a good sign because he's at least moving? At this point I'm just thinking that I'll try feeding him a few times a day, I don't really know what to do.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Did you ever try feeding it by leaving food on a paper towel and leaving it with the newt in a dark room or overnight yet?
And its normal for it to dislike the water, its not adapted to aquatic life. I wouldn't buy from this "breeder" ever again imo.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1