If your axolotl is sick , should the tank water be completely changed?

simko

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone

while im not 100% sure, i think my axolotl MAY have a fungal infection on the gills. I have read some salt bath tutorials, and if i notice an increase in what may be fungi, i will use the salt bathing techinque.

My question is:

the salt bath may help the axolotl, but should my tank water be completely changed? I realize the tank is cycled, but wont the pathogenic fungi still be in the tank water?

I think there will be some remaining fungal spores in the tank even if you completely change the water. They're everywhere!

However, it seldom hurts to do large water changes (as long as it is done properly) whenever your axie is sick/has fungus. Conditions in which a large water change could "hurt" instead of help: 1) if you forget to dechlorinate the water and kill your cycle/hurt your axie, 2) if you haven't been doing regular water changes so that a large water change changes the tank parameters a lot.

Often, fungus infections are triggered by things such as higher levels of nitrates. Do you have a water test kit and have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Those are the first suspects whenever an axolotl is ill.

Minor fungus infection often do not need treatment, especially if it is just at the site of a minor injury. Usually, just keeping the water in great condition (frequent partial water changes) is all it takes, and that is far less stressful to the axolotl (and you) than a salt bath. Another less-stressful treatment for a minor fungus attack that some people report success with is a bath in water from the tap that hasn't been dechlorinated. (The chlorine kills the fungus, but doesn't do much harm to the axolotl as ling as it isn't too long.)

Good luck!

My axie recently became sick with fungus, and after doing salt baths I popped
her in a different tank. While she was away from the main tank i put quite a bit of salt in the main tank. then did a 90% water change a day later and changed out the filter media
If you do the water change combined with the filter change you should probably get some tank starter as well and cycle the tank with that for a few days and as Lsuz said don't
forget to dechlorinate if you do this.
btw this is probably a bit drastic if theres not much fungus

I hope this helps and good luck with you Axie :D

Regards sebguy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back