Question: Axolotl Tank Setups?

caudataAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Vincent
I have two tanks, a ten gallon and a thirteen gallon, but that's not the point. Soon, I'm going to get another ten (10) gallon tank for an axolotl, which I know it isn't very big for an axolotl, but that's good for now because we live in a trailer.
That's falling apart.
So, I'm going to set it up with a couple of Java Ferns (which are sturdy enough for an axolotl to play with and lay on). The substrate is going to be Play Sand, which is soft enough to not impact axolotls (at least that I know of) and is soft for their marshmallow skin.
I'm going to have a couple of other plants like Anubias and others. The play sand will be hopefully white (because easier to find poops). And uh, yeah, how is this? I will also have a couple hides for the axolotl. Tell me what you think?

I think you have been doing your research. :happy:

What filter do you plan to get?

I would recommend you get an air stone. I had this problem where Lil' Yeezy (My axy) used to swim up too many times for some air. Then I remembered that CO2 is heavier than O2 and will sink to the bottom of the tank where they usually hang out. So a small air stone placed at the bottom of the tank would make you axolotls a lot more comfortable.

Hi Vincent. I think if you get a smooth but enough intrincated shape log and you attach plants can create a place that allows your axie "climb" and hide from too many eyes. In that sense anubias, java ferns and java moss represent no difficulty since they do not require too much light and can provide a stunning view of the tank. Another suggestion I can give you is to plant Vallisnerias because its leaves grow to the surface and are not very demanding in terms of subtrate and at least my axies love to rest between them. Good luck with your tank!... and sorry for my english!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back