Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Community tank

jord

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the forum; just wanted to show everyone my 70 gallon community tank. The pictures were taken before I moved a majority of the animals in.
It's a 48 × 18 x 18 tank, sand substrate, various planted plants and lots of lava rock and slate ...I tried to make as many caves and hides as possible, keeping everything as natural looking as possible.
Enjoy!
The Tank

Wild and Melanoid Albino

Posing

Staring at her reflection

A 30 gallon tank...same kind of setup

sebguy

Reaction score
Cute lookin axies but
you shouldn't be keeping fish with them!
either the axie's will eat the fish or the fish
will nip at the axies gills! Porbably take out
the fish pretty quick!

Regards Sebguy

jord

Reaction score
I've had these minnows with them for a while. Never had a problem with them nipping the axls. The axls have eaten a few but that doesn't bother me. I appreciate the concern but I'll be leaving them in there.

silk

Reaction score
Just because its never been a problem before doesn't mean it won't be. Fish can also carry harmful diseases that will hurt your axies. I'd definitely consider removing them, cute axies though!

xxianxx

Reaction score
White cloud mountain minnows and guppies (which the fish look like in the pics) pose minimal threat to an axolotls gills, if they go near an axolotls head they will end up as a snack.
If people want to use them its fine, though possibly illegal in some countries, its best to raise your own though, pet shop fish can be full of disease or parasites.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
It's so strange that all these rules are in place when wild axies live in such an unruly environment. I have two juvies and I'll be going with the flow. Not stressing if they're not.

birdsong

Reaction score
I agree people act like they live in these utopian ponds and lakes in the wild. They've been around for tens of millions of years for a reason . They are resilient and I'm pretty sure they have bigger natural threats than guppies or minnows in nature . If they have a 50+ gallon tank like this one then as long as you don't have a million fish I can't see how small "peaceful" fish like minnows and guppies can pose any real threats to axolotls. Now if it were a ten gallon I wouldn't advise it . I do agree about breeding your own feeders though due to the disease/parasite issue . I personally only keep glass shrimp with my axolotls but that is only because I have them in a small tank till my bigger one cycles completely .

birdsong

Reaction score
Almost exclusively attributed to pollution and habitat shrinkage . When the conquistadors invaded Mexico there were enough to feed the entire army . Then add the fact that non native fish have been introduced including carp and tilapia that feed on the few young that are produced and you have the worst habitat for an axolotl . So don't add chemical fertilizers or aggressive/large fish to your tank haha

keiko

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is claiming that guppies or minnows pose a huge threat to axies (other than disease or parasites if the fish aren't healthy), but then the axies pose a risk to the fish. As long as you don't mind the axies eating the fish then it's probably fine to keep them together. But for example here in Finland live food is illegal (other than bugs etc.).

birdsong

Reaction score
Cute lookin axies but
you shouldn't be keeping fish with them!
either the axie's will eat the fish or the fish
will nip at the axies gills! Porbably take out
the fish pretty quick!

Regards Sebguy

Somebody said it lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!