Lotl Slang???

pagemaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
_Pagemaster
Hello all! :D

I'm pretty new to this site and have recently re-entered the world of Axolotl owning! There are not many people in my area who own Axies, or even know what they are for that matter! That being said, the majority of my discussions regarding these cute little things take place on this website. Now, on to the point of this thread.. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what some of the Lotl Slang stands for? Since I've been on this website I've seen a few and I'm not quite sure what they all mean. I think this would be a great thread to get going, especially for us Newbies who are still learning. I'll list a few that I've heard thus far and have no idea of what they mean. If you have additional Lotl slang to add, I'd love to hear it!

1.) Mel?
2.) Lucy?
3.) Het or He T?
4.) Cycling? (tank related?)

Hope everyone is having a great day,
_Pagemaster

Welcome! I am trying to catch up on the slang myself... :p But I know a couple!

1) Mel is the melanoid color morph
2) Lucy is the leucistic color morph
and
4) Cycling is making sure your tank is populated with healthy bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrate (a bit safer for aquatic animals)

Yeah, no idea on number 3... :)

Ooooh, I see! That makes much more sense! Thank you for replying. So how exactly do you cycle a tank? I'd like to move my Axie to a bigger tank soon and I want to make sure that it's healthy for him. :happy:

Also, I want to pick up a water testing kit today. Any place special you have to get them? And what are the water parameters supposed to be?

Cycling guide

Get a liquid master test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH at least. I use API freshwater master test kit for example.

Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 in a cycled tank, nitrate under 40 ppm, and pH around 7.5.

Thank you, Keiko! Do you know how much those generally run price wise? And do you think they'd have that at Petsmart? Where did you get yours?

As you can see, I'm full of questions! :D

Thank you also, CatSpit. I'll read that!

Can I also add, yet means that an animal carries a gene but doesn't show, for example, he's a leucistic het (for) melanoid.

Hmmm, very interesting Jake. I tend to run across seeing that a lot on here. Curious, why would someone need to know that? Or rather, want to know what gene it carries, but is not showing?

Hmmm, very interesting Jake. I tend to run across seeing that a lot on here. Curious, why would someone need to know that? Or rather, want to know what gene it carries, but is not showing?

It comes in handy when you're breeding and want to get some specific colors.

I got my test kit on Ebay for about 30€. But you can probably get it from petshops too.

Ah, I see. Thank you, Keiko! I will try around at a few places today for the test kit. :happy:

Awesome! I just called my local pet store and they have the API Freshwater Master Kit on sale for $26. I wanted to check the water because I got a very small juvenile Axie last week and he hasn't eaten for me since I got him, but the other older Axie is eating just fine and they are in the same tank with a divider. Anybody have an idea what could be causing this?

I believe "het" is "heterozygous."

That's exactly what it is :happy:

It comes in handy if you are wanting to breed them to produce certain colours of axolotl. For example if I had a melanoid and wildtype who were both het for gold albino, a breeding from them would produce melanoid, wildtype and gold albino, but it's likely that a couple of other colours may pop up in small amounts too. :p;)

Stuart

Thank you all for the wonderful information! I appreciate you helping a girl out! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back