Illness/Sickness: Red spot in Axolotl larvae stomachs? :(

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Bambi
I fed them late yesterday evening, and was pleased with their nice full orange bellies when I cleaned out their water cups before I went to bed (a few hours later).

But now this afternoon when I got home from class to check on them and see if they were ready for their next feeding, some have a very worrying red spot on their bellies!

Is it possible that I overfed them and their tummies are rupturing?? I haven't been able to find any other instances of this happening on the web that is the same as my issue.

Other than the spot, they seem to be okay--no curled tails or floating or upside-downess. Also most of them still seem to be full/have orange bellies, so should I just wait to feed until I see them less rotund?

I have been changing 100% of their waters everyday, since I keep them in separate, small containers and brine shrimp are super messy when they die. I only feed them 1-3 drops (depending on if I spill a few drops out of the baster) each day. Temperature of their water is probably about 70 degrees Fahrenheit or so.

I am new to raising axolittles, and yes I know I've chosen a large group to raise, but it is in my nature to give them the best care I can, and I have the time and ability to raise them, so no I will not be culling them unless it is medically necessary.

Please let me know if I'm just being an overly worried new mom!!

Attachments

• set-up.jpg
    set-up.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 842
  • splotch.jpg
    splotch.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 486
  • bigger spot.jpg
    bigger spot.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 514
  • spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 547
It's normal. You can see their internal organs through their skin until they get bigger and their skin less transparent.

That's the heart. Hold them up in a clear container and watch closely, and you'll be able to see it pumping. It's easiest to observe from underneath on light colored larvae. Super cool, in my opinion. :D

It's normal. You can see their internal organs through their skin until they get bigger and their skin less transparent.

Okay, but I can only see it on some of them, and admittedly it is the lighter colored axolotls where the spot is most prominent, but I thought the heart was supposed to be more superior to the rest of the organs not medial?

I believe the red spot on the left side is the spleen. The heart is closer to the neck and can be seen from below with a magnifying glass.

Yeah, I may have misunderstood what you're seeing. The heart looks like it's almost in the neck from below. The spleen is on the left side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back