Refusing to eat

Tomwebber

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hey guys, I bought my two new axolotls yesterday. One is a melanoid and the other is lecustic. I've provided a very basic setup for now, but I'm looking to make it a lot more habitable for them.

My axolotls seem to not want to eat, when I first got them I threw in a few mule worms and earth worms, but they seemed untouched, this morning I threw in the liquid bloodworm solution and they didn't want to have this either.

I also have the frozen cubed bloodworms, but the tank looks so messy right because of the discarded food that I don't really want to be putting anything else in until I've cleaned it.

Any suggestions? Could this just be due to their move of home? They're about 12 inches.

It is probably just because of the move. Also, adults eat less often than juveniles, and at 12 inches, they are adult sized.

Just in case it isn't just the move, let's run down a list of other potential problems.

First, is the tank cycled? If not, you need to be monitoring ammonia and nitrites daily for a few weeks until it is.

Second, what is the temperature in the tank? High temps will stress axolotls and cause them not to eat.

Third, did the place you got them from keep them on gravel? sometimes they will ingest gravel and that can cause a loss of appetite until it clears their system.

Are their any other alarming/confusing symptoms r behavior? Do their gills and skin look good?

Hopefully by this time, they have decided to stop stressing you and are eating. :happy: Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back