Best way to switch to a new filter?

kaikoga

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had an Aqueon QuietFlow in my tank for a while now, and it is the absolute worst. It has a habit of suddenly shutting down and refusing to turn on for a few days. I bought a new filter recently but I'm unsure what is the best way to switch to a new filter without crashing the cycle. Any suggestions?

The best way to transfer the bacteria is to let them both run in the tank for a few weeks. The bacteria will transfer from your current filter to the media in the new one and after some time, just remove the faulty filter! Easy peasy. :)

I agree with Silk, use both filters for a week or two before removing the old filter. that way bacteria has some time to grow on the new filter before getting rid of the old one.

Last edited:
Oh, awesome, I'm glad there's such an easy solution, haha. Thank you!

It may take more than a week or two, so monitor parameters after you take out the old one. But if the tank is well established and not overcrowded, there should be enough bacteria on surfaces to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. I usually just run them together for a month, but that is just me.

Also you could use some of the old filter medium that has the bacteria colony already established & put some of it in the new filter when you remove the older one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back