Triturus cristatus ready to go outside

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Harry
I have 2 triturus cristatus wich I acquired from larva from a reptile show this was around august 2014 and now they are large (around 2-3 inchs) and im wondering I could keep them outdoors there parents where kept outdoor (dont know if it relevant) with my fire sals.also could I keep them aquatic outside the breeding season?

Interesting, which show was this? Hmm, I think it would be safer to keep them indoors, but seeing as they are a native species, I guess they would be able to handle the British weather which in my area can't decide to be freezing or hot, so it tends to go hot-to-cold from day to day :p Pics?

If I were you, I'd keep them inside fully aquatic until next December, then hibernate them and they should breed the following spring for you - providing you end up with a pair. If you put them outside they will take another two or more years to mature.

Oh, and, by the way, make sure you have all the correct paperwork showing their origin and proof of captive breeding etc. If you don't have this you can have your animals taken from you and be given a big fine (several thousand pounds).

Thanks for the reply I think I will keep them aquatic and breed them and I will upload pic soon I just need to wait until im back home

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back