Illness/Sickness: My baby axolotls are dying !!! help

reptilesJD

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Help please I bought 7 axolotls last week and I just have 5 left two of them died today , I change my tank water and apparently something was wrong with the water , I went to check on them an hour later after I did the change and they all look dead , I took them out and put them in a betta water solution to try to help them because the look like they were rooting alive , they are very stress , their tails are curved , their temperature is 60 F , what do I do please help me please , these are my first axolotls

You did the right thing by getting them into safe water right away. If you keep the remaining ones in good water, they may recover. Let's try to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again.

Had you dechlorinated the water you used for the water change? What was the source of the water? Had you done water changes with water from this source before?

Is there any chance you used too much dechlorinator?

Is there any chance that your water is sanitized with chloramine instead of chlorine? (That requires dechlorinators that neutralize ammonia too.)

Is there any chance that the water supply is hyperchlorinated right now (like if there was a water main break?)

Is there any chance that some chemical got into the water some other way?

Are you experienced with aquariums in general? If not, have you read up on cycling your tank?

You did the right thing by getting them into safe water right away. If you keep the remaining ones in good water, they may recover. Let's try to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again.

Had you dechlorinated the water you used for the water change? What was the source of the water? Had you done water changes with water from this source before?

Is there any chance you used too much dechlorinator?

Is there any chance that your water is sanitized with chloramine instead of chlorine? (That requires dechlorinators that neutralize ammonia too.)

Is there any chance that the water supply is hyperchlorinated right now (like if there was a water main break?)

Is there any chance that some chemical got into the water some other way?

Are you experienced with aquariums in general? If not, have you read up on cycling your tank?
Hi there , now I just have three axolotls lefth , I dechlorinate the water , and yes I always use this water to do the changes in my fish tank , I had have fish almost all my life so I do have some experience in aquariums , this time I made a mistake by using a new dechlorinator that I had never used before , I blame that chemical because everything else was normal . the water was to acid that it was destroying their epidermis , right now they aren't moving that much but are alive , I so sad , I lost my axolotls and my money . I am so frustrated right now , I couldn't even sleep last night :(

I agree that since you are experienced, and were using a new dechlorinator, it is probably the dechlorinator. :sad: What brand was it?

The first two batches of eggs I tried to hatch didn't make it, and I blame the ammonia-locking dechlorinator (which I was accidentally overdosing with since I misread the instructions) for that.

Keep the survivors in good, cool water. This may be a case where refrigerating them would help, but I'm not sure. Read up on it carefully if you want to try that, and be very careful of the temperature.

I'm sorry your first experience with axolotls has been a sad one. :sad:

I agree that since you are experienced, and were using a new dechlorinator, it is probably the dechlorinator. :sad: What brand was it?

The first two batches of eggs I tried to hatch didn't make it, and I blame the ammonia-locking dechlorinator (which I was accidentally overdosing with since I misread the instructions) for that.

Keep the survivors in good, cool water. This may be a case where refrigerating them would help, but I'm not sure. Read up on it carefully if you want to try that, and be very careful of the temperature.

I'm sorry your first experience with axolotls has been a sad one. :sad:

Only two of my babies axolotls survived out of seven , I will be accepting any unwanted axolotl , due to the space left by the dead of my babies . fell free to contacte at any time to my email address : jesus.nathalie@yahoo.com , thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back