Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed after water change

cabbysarus

Reaction score
I did my first water change last night for my axies, and now some of them have their gills turned forward. Did I stress them out? How do I make it better?

birdsong

Reaction score
Did you dose the dechlorinator correctly many new to water changes overdose th dechlor

cabbysarus

Reaction score
I believe I did. I used a 5 gallon bucket and only filled to the mark on the cup for 5 gallons... if I did how do I fix it?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Are you sure this is a change from what the gills were before? Many axies have their gills naturally forward, especially when they are young. Do you have pictures?

silk

Reaction score
How did you put the new water into the tank? If you just tossed it in the current might have disturbed them. I siphon the water back into my tanks or, on the higher-up ones, gently move the water little by little via a bowl.

Was the new water the same temp as the water in the tank?

cabbysarus

Reaction score
I siphoned the water back into the tank from the bucket, and had the hose against the wall so it would hopefully not make too much of a current. The new water was a bit colder than the water in the tank, but we were hoping that would actually be a good thing because the water in the tank was a bit warm. It was only like a 3 degree difference though.

birdsong

Reaction score
I think you did everything right what brand was the dechlorinator? That's the only variable I can think of maybe test the water before you put it in next time just to rule that out

cabbysarus

Reaction score
The dechlorinator is aqueon brand. Do you mean to test the new water before I put it in? I don't have a chlorine test kit nor could I find one for an aquarium online.

birdsong

Reaction score
I mean test for ammonia etc. it's unlikely that it is the cause but it's worth knowing. I have crappy city water and do %90 water changes weekly and my little guys don't seem to mind . If you really want to get to the bottom of it you can research different water adjustments . I.e. Hardness ,etc and try to tweak them for your axies but from a little research I've done and personal exp these things matter very little . I just check ammonia nitrite , nitrate , and ph daily to ensure there health. And aqueon should be fine as long as is dosed correctly sorry if I haven't been the best help

Last edited:

cabbysarus

Reaction score
You've been lots of help. Thank you. Its good to know I did things properly. They don't seam to be stressed out anymore, but I will be doing another water change later today. Maybe its just that they're grumpy little creatures that don't like their world disturbed lol

birdsong

Reaction score
I've found that we stress to much with our pets and just need to take things slow and not over react. You actually do things "more correctly" than i do even now. I don't siphon my water in i simply pour into a small strainer and they often have stressed signs but they chill out within afew minutes i find feeding them right after helps them calm down . But it sounds like you do everything correctly and just as a last suggestion make sure your water is of approximately the same temperature as the old water you can get a floating thermometer for a few bucks at any pet store

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1