Seperating eggs with fungus

Annalotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have numerous eggs (like 200 +) that are about 8 days old ... some are clearly white and moldy. what is the easiest way to seperate them from the live eggs beside them? My turkey baster is just not working and I don't have long fingernails ... Help!

i used some air line attached to a 2ft long stick .. get the siphon going finger over the outlet end to stop and control the water flow so as not to suck up good eggs.. siphon into a bucket.. works well for me.. hope it helps

I have numerous eggs (like 200 +) that are about 8 days old ... some are clearly white and moldy. what is the easiest way to seperate them from the live eggs beside them? My turkey baster is just not working and I don't have long fingernails ... Help!

I use forceps. A long pair of aquarium forceps works well. Pinch off the contaminated eggs and lift by pinching jelly coat. Treat with brief hypertonic saline soaks to knock back the fungal growth. There is a caudata.org salt water treatment document posted. Slightly increasing salt content in the water generally

(40% Holtfreter's) retards fungal growth.

I believe the eggs hatch better if you can manage to separate them from too many neighbors. That way they can all get good, even gas exchange along the surface. If you work on pulling the eggs apart, I used a combination of the turkey baster and either a coffee stirrer stick or if desperate some very sharp scissors, to pry them apart by the jelly that surrounds the actually egg. It's a bit difficult to see sometimes, but with a bright light, becomes a bit easier.

My methods were to suck at an egg I want to separate with the turkey baster, then sever the bond between the jelly coat of the other eggs. Sometimes, pulling up with the turkey baster helps as well, let gravity help!

So my eggs hatched and at about one week old I have ponds of 20_25 babies dying. Is this because of the fungus. I thought it was from microworms... but I made sure to keep eggs of differing fungal condition in different ponds ( tupperware) . I only have about 100 left and am concerned. Would u put saline in the remaining ponds? Pictures to follow

c667a2076b95eff5df5f834bbbd0f743.jpg

ae4e4f39b9792d17c79ff64f545325e3.jpg

1a54b047358ed0fa9afb47d4597bd1a0.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back